Beqanna
my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Forum: Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+----- Forum: Tephra (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] (/showthread.php?tid=17988)

my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] - Gansey - 01-16-2018

my words are unerring tools of destruction
At nearly a year old, he has mostly forgotten having any home except Tephra. He remembers snippets of a dark face and a soothing voice, but all of his other memories of ‘mother’ are the palomino-and-white Femur. All memories of ‘father’ are the iridescent shimmer of Longclaw’s coat. His idea of ‘family’ is the little group of siblings that Longclaw has assembled for them. He knows each inch of the grass-and-rock surface of Tephra, no longer considers the sulfur smell unpleasant. 

Winter has made him fluffy. Fluffy everywhere – he has a thick coat, which runs into a his vertical yearling’s mane and gives him more than a hint of feathers at his fetlocks. The warm weather has kept him from being a true fuzzball, but his wild-type heritage shines through anyway. Even the downy feathers in his wings have multiplied, but at least real feathers have finally grown in, long and sleek, giving his wings an almost adult appearance.

Appearances aside, Gansey is a late bloomer when it comes to flying.

He has done some running-jumping-gliding; he has done some flapping-and-hey-I’m airborne-now-but-whoops-now-I’m-not. He’s jumped off a lot of large rocks and glided to the ground. True flight? Not so much yet, but he’s decided it’s time. He doesn’t want to be the littlest sibling, and this lack highlights his youth in a way he has started to resent. Today, he’s going to fly.

The grullo boy has climbed part of the way up the volcano, and he is leaning out over the edge of the ledge on which he has perched, letting the wind whip his mane and tail into complicated knots he’ll have to beg his sister to untangle for him later (so he’s a little vain; who can help it?). Pebbles clatter down the mountain and over the side, knocked loose as he lean his weight forward onto his forelegs and spreads his wings, taking a breath but –

Gansey doesn’t have a chance to jump. The wind knocks him off the ledge, and he is falling, but only for a few breathtaking seconds before the wind catches under his wings and he is soaring. The boy laughs, helplessly, banking naturally to change direction. A heart-stopping moment when he is falling, losing the uplift of the thermal, but a few wingbeats and he is airborne again, flying. Really flying.

He comes closer and closer to the ground, and then spots a familiar face. He calls to them from the sky as he goes over, (look at me!), but quickly outpaces them from the sky and can’t know if they heard. Turning back he looks down and as he folds his wings, quickly realizes that he has no idea how to really land from a real height.

Shit.

The boy does his best to salvage the situation, combining a desperate attempt at backdraft wingbeats with his best effort to stay upright and parallel to the ground but in the end it’s a hard landing, sending him tumbling head-over-heels into the winter grasses, a yelp and a ground to accompany the fall. So much for proving his maturity. 
gansey
and I've become unequipped with the ability to disarm them

@[Femur] @[Longclaw] @[Valensia] Sorry I suck at babies and also was unexpectedly away but here pretend he's been here with them all year :/ Let me know if there is anything I/Gansey should know that happened to the family lol

RE: my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] - Longclaw - 01-18-2018

LongClaw

-I close my eyes, Ignore the smoke-

Their children grow, Tephra remains a place of impregnable security, and Longclaw enjoys the sweet taste of his efforts cultivated here. He’d known from the very first time he set foot on these shores that this was to become his home. The black silt of volcanic soil has permeated through his skin and muscles, darkened his blood, and settled into his bones.

Looking back on it now, he considers it Warrick’s doing. After all, it was the navy-and-crimson stallion who’d let Claw and his flame settle here so many years ago. As the blue warg crosses the dividing channel between Tephra’s main islands and the one that separates the Volcano from all the rest, he smiles to think how his original boast had not come short of being fulfilled.

But the memory leaves him suddenly because as he drags his body clear of the swelling waters, a whooping cry startles him onto a new train of thought.

From down here, the smokey-silver colt is but a coasting speck - a large bird with a strange cry that soon swoops into a lower draft and careens out of sight. It could be anyone, any horse, but Longclaw is not so terrible a father that he wouldn’t be able to place the sound of his own children’s cry. “That’ll be Gansey-boy, then.” He thinks, chuckling through a hefty shake of his body before straightening out to coast over the dunes with an abrupt trot.

Perhaps he should be worried; ultimately it seemed that Gansey was ‘winging’ it, (pun always intended) and the ensuing sound of a crash-landing further backs his assumptions up, but Longclaw is only elated to see how quick the grullo colt was learning. He knows from his own experiences that sometimes, the natural course of things is the best teacher.

Past the dunes and a few seaward bushes, Longclaw spots the tangle of feathers and fur in the distance and extends to canter, flying over the sparse winter grassland where Gansey lies. He pulls to a stop alongside the colt and is nothing but a ball of energy and a wide, fanged grin. “Gansey!” he nearly shouts, “I saw - you flew!”

A rattling laugh echoes in his chest and the shimmering Commander drops his nose, the faint gust of his breath whuffing over head and neck to check for injury. “Not hurt, are you?” He decides to ask instead, and then he backs away to allow his son some breathing room.

@[Gansey] Errrrrm aside from the normal day-to-day I don't think anything too crazy has happened xD

RE: my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] - Valensia - 01-18-2018

Valensia
It’s been quite a year for the young girl, part of her is proud of what she has accomplished in that time, but another part of her is frustrated that she hasn’t done more… been more. She needs to have a talk with mother and father about how she can contribute to the generous home they have occupied in this time. She knows a little about the structure, but what she can do, be, to help them thrive. That part is something that she needs to broach with her parents. It’s on this that she is brooding while she secretly tries to tag along behind her brother.

She likes to pretend that they practice together on the ground to make sure that their wings are strong. Because he hasn’t joined her up there yet; she refuses to rub it in his face that she can already fly. Choosing to stay on the ground until he is using his wings for more than cow hops too, she follows her brothers around Tephra keeping their vanity from bruising, and demanding all the attention she can gather from any of the family available. Following him up the volcano she picks her way carefully as the loose rock tumble beneath the young hooves. It takes her longer than it does him, and she is far below him when she looks up to see him perched on the ledge. The black roan watches as he settles in prepping himself to brave the unknown. Her breath hitches as she can see him looking as regal as any yearling can in their winter coat. Just as the suspense begins to build for her he is knocked off rushing towards her in a plummeting fall. To her it seems forever, and the fear is paralyzing her insides as her brother is nearing her in the deadly dash. A heart beat later he’s rising high above her head taking the scare away with him.

Her face splits with the excited grin. He’s flying! She now has someone to come with her into the clouds. The addictive feeling of nothing but air beneath her body could be shared with someone, someone could understand the need she feels to fly. She races as quickly as she can, stumbling and flapping her wings to keep herself from doing a full tumble head first down the path. Reaching the flat ground, she takes off running, chasing his shadow. Breathlessly laughing she squeals her response to his call for attention. It’s a mad dash to catch him, hopeless attempt though it may be. It doesn’t take long for him to plummet back to earth father right on his heels.

Breathlessly her ribs rise and fall with the gulps of much needed oxygen. She stands off slightly, politely waiting for the commotion to settle a bit. Gansey! You flew! Excited as ever to have another soul in the skies with her, she nearly bursts with her enthusiasm. We should practice in the sky now!

“And there was you - your fair self,
always delicately dressed,
with white firm fingers sure of touch
in delicate true work.
I loved you then.”
- Charlotte Gilman

@[Gansey] - let me know if you need me to change this post at all

RE: my words are unerring tools of destruction; [Femur/Longclaw/Valensia/Any] - Gansey - 01-29-2018

my words are unerring tools of destruction
He is so focused on climbing and thinking about flying that he doesn’t notice Valensia following him at a distance. He does catch a glimpse of her frightened face as he tumbles down, but doesn’t have the breath to call out to her. The boy has more time to look down at her as he is gliding over her galloping form, grinning as she returns his excited call, but the wind takes him a different direction and leaves her to follow after as he navigates the falling portion of today’s adventure.

Valensia reaches him first, since she was already galloping behind him, but Longclaw is not far behind; the longer legs giving him the advantage over his sister. He isn’t sure what to expect; a scolding maybe (he did just basically fall out of the sky) but when he rights himself and looks up into the blue face, there is excitement and pride there. Pride. Gansey scrambles back to his feet as Longclaw inspects him briefly for injury, a grin starting to form on his little face in response to his family’s enthusiasm.

They have both stepped away to give him some space, but he reaches out to exchange quick touches with each of them – quick, familiar, affectionate family touches. Longclaw is all of his shining blue magnificence and muscle, the boy’s role model in addition to his adoptive father. Valensia is dark, darker even than Gansey but beautiful and always well-groomed (Gansey has a hand in that, and he takes pride in it. Vanity might be a sin but he can’t help himself). She smells of the sweet grass that grows profusely in their home, and only very faintly of the sulfuric volcano.

“I’m okay,” he says as he bumps his nose against Val’s shoulder, and then spreads his wings, refusing to wince as they twinge their objection to rolling head-over-heels. “Just some bumps and bruises,” He eyes the dirt and grass such in them with distaste but he will have to preen them later. “Maybe we should work on landing,” he suggests to his sister in a somewhat sheepish voice, modest towards his own failings, but his smile is blindingly happy.

They’re right – it might have been brief but he DID fly. He did!
gansey
and I've become unequipped with the ability to disarm them