Beqanna
the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Forum: Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+----- Forum: Hyaline (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+----- Thread: the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] (/showthread.php?tid=19931)

the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Velk - 06-29-2018

Velk felt as awkward as ever. At eight months of age, his limbs are lanky and his torso is lean. The two-toned lad has yet to develop muscles to match his rapidly growing frame. This leaves his shoulders and chest narrow and, his immature neck makes his head appear too large. The colt's charcoal and milk colored pelt contributes to the disproportionate physique as his winter undercoat grows unevenly.

Velk finds himself near the crystal pool, out of sight from his twin and, mothers. As Solace's son, a prince, he could sense the pressure to behave, speak and, even think, a certain way. He often found himself musing about what his future would hold. To the same degree, Velk wonders about where he came from. Who was his sire? Does he resemble him? Will he take after him or, will he be a gracious, diplomatic leader like his mother?

He made sure to remain close enough that they could follow his scent as he knew his absence would not go unnoticed. However, he prefers not to be in the hub of activity. Sapphire tresses lay flat against his nape and, drape limply down his forehead. Black ears rotate casually as they scan for alerting noises. A gentle sigh flutters from his pale pink nostrils as he hears nothing aside from the ripples of aqua. He continues to forage for any remaining morsels though, the selection is sparse. Although not the farthest north, Hyaline could not entirely keep the chill of winter out of her inviting atmosphere.

@[Solace] @[Kagerus]

RE: the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Solace - 06-30-2018

Solace

. . .

Solace had tried to find him; her one-time lover and the father of her children deserved to know of the twins existence. But Loess seemed to rearrange its government annually, and Castile seemed to have been lost in the shuffle. 

It seemed impossible to her that such a man could disappear, and in the beginning stages of her pregnancy she had flown as close as she dared to Loess heart - but never did she glimpse him. After their children were born she had made another effort, this time also searching the Riverlands, but not even his acidic scent was to be found. 

She told herself her effort was only for their children, but she also wanted to know that he was alright. 

But finally, Hyaline's Caretaker grew resigned that he would show up in his own time, and she made sure her children knew his name and what he looked like. But what is a name to a child? If they asked anything else she indulged them to the best of her ability, but if she was honest, there were many parts of his life that she was unaware of. Castile was a drifter, but he was also the son of a former Queen of Nerine - The Iron Queen - and she made sure they knew that one well.

Today, the young mother watches Velk slip away out of the corner of her eye, and she allows him his space for some time before following. She finds him grazing peacefully, and she begins to do the same as she watches his lanky form drift across the little meadow. 

Finally haven eaten her fill, Solace lifts her pale head and swallows her last bite, bringing up a topic she had on her mind as she steps forward to close the space between them. "Recently I've been thinking that it is time for you and your sister to begin your education." She speaks in a gentle tone, running her muzzle along his sapphire mane to pick out a stray twig or two. "I want to try both diplomacy and sparing, and then you can decide which you would prefer to focus on."

Pulling her muzzle away so she can look to his youthful face, she tries to read his reaction. "I would like you to start with physical training, and then in the spring or summer, we will take a trip to show you the other kingdoms and give you a sense of diplomacy. How does that sound to you?" 

@[Velk]

RE: the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Velk - 07-02-2018

With his focus upon the limited vegetation, two-toned stallion remains oblivious to his mother's approach. He continues to nibble upon the drying foliage until, a brief arctic gust carries Solace's familiar scent to his nostrils. Velk is not caught off guard nor, is he perturbed that his solitude has been disturbed. His left lobe swivels to face and train upon the ivory and gold toned lady. The remainder of his chassis appears indifferent though, he is in fact curious what brought her to him. Solace was not the hovering or, smothering type and, the young lad appreciates her greatly for her trust and patience.

When his mother finally steps towards him, black and white painted colt lifts his poll. Light blue gaze shifts to meet her eyes and, a single breath later, ink-hued ears prick forward out of interest. Poll remains low, out of respect, as she approaches. His whiskered muzzle brushes her shoulder affectionately as she grooms his mane. Velk listens closely to her words and, begins to process their meaning. Begin my education he repeats. He nods to show his comprehension before he finds his voice. "I would appreciate that." I do not know where I will fit in. I do not know what I want to do, he continues to himself. Velk falls quiet to listen to her next words. He appreciates the insight she shares into the plan though, his curiosity piques enough to ask a question. "Mom, is dad a soldier? Or, is he a tactful diplomat, like yourself?" He swallows as the words leave his maw. All at once, the lad felt awkward for asking about his father. Solace had never discouraged Velk or, Valdis, from asking about Castile. She never said that she did not want to talk about him. All the same, he felt that, perhaps, the conversation was a difficult one for Solace. He had respected that possibility until now. Now, he could not help but feel that, knowing more about his sire, would help him figure out who he will become.

@[Solace]

RE: the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Kagerus - 07-04-2018

kagerus
and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times
Throughout our children's lives (for that's what she had said, that day in the cave as it rained: our children), I've often rounded back in my mind's eye to the topic of their father. As a whole, I of course have come to terms with his place in their lives (absent) and the fact that, in some way, Solace did love him. Castile. Some days, I'm thankful to not have a face to place to the name like Solace, who met Rapt, the father of my own son Abysm. Others, I wish I could have something concrete to launch all my wandering thoughts at; but I am left without, and I never pry.

I know that she looks for him; but she is allowed that right in every way.

My nutmeg eyes go to the two retreating figures on this blustery fall-winter day, curious but respectful of their need for alone time. Beside me, little Valdis shivers but pretends not to. Closing my eyes, I dream her a little warmer; it won't toughen her up any, but I'm too much of a sap to watch her adapt so slowly to Hyaline's rather harsh climate. Lowering my head, we continue to graze the sparse grass in companionable silence, our eyes meeting once or twice, at which times I smile warmly towards her. Though we haven't the closest of connections, Valdis and I do get along; we have an understanding, as does everyone in this strange, twisted family.

"I'm going to go back to the grotto, Rou," comes her voice, strong even in its childishness. "I'll see you later?"

Smiling once more, I raise my antlered head and place a kiss to the girl's cheek. "Of course Val; see you tonight."

As the girl's golden figure slowly rescinds up the mountain, I turn and consider the direction in which my wife and step-son had wandered. Enough time has passed since their departure that I begin to approach myself, figuring that it wouldn't be rude of me to join their conversation. It is cold after all, and even I could use some warming up on this fine winter day.

I am downwind of them, and so catch the tail end of Solace's spiel, about training and all. My ears perk excitedly at the thought, but at Velk's next words, I falter. Ears twitching back and to the sides in nervous confusion, I juggle my want to approach and my need to escape like hot coals. In the end, I end up lowering my head again, pretending to nibble the grass as I wait for them to either welcome me closer, or wander away from the nuisance of my presence.

@[Solace]
Kag says Sad

RE: the dark light [Solace, Kagerus, Valdis, any] - Solace - 07-15-2018

Solace

. . .

He agrees, but she notes the hesitation - the insecurity - which seems to dampen his acceptance. "You won't have to make any decision for a long time yet," the young mother adds with a playful nudge of her shoulder to his. Solace wants her firstborn to be prepared for his future, but she didn't want to heap too much responsibility on him before he was ready. "I think you will enjoy the challenge, but it is only practice."

But it is obvious that his mind is still curing  (it always was, it was one thing she admired about her young son) and so his next question doesn't catch her off her guard. Still, Solace takes a moment to think, wondering how far she would fall in her children's esteem to admit that there was so much she didn't know about the painted stallion. 

"Castile is a drifter," a rolling stone, a weak moment, "and a bit of a soldier."

Her answer fades off as she thinks of the two matching scars on each of her shoulders where his claws had gripped her, of the way the mountains had shuddered at the power of his roar. The dragon-shifter was one of the most powerful creatures in Beqanna, and he had wrestled bitterly with that responsibility. 

"He was the regent of Loess once, and the general at one point too, back when there was another on the throne. He is a good man, Velk," she adds, "but just a little lost... He had great, unruly power and he was afraid of hurting others."

Then the sounds of another grazing catch her attention. Solace looks over her shoulder to see her mate and a tender smile softens her features. "Kagerus," she calls to the grazing mare, hoping that she did not feel her appearance was poorly timed. She stretches out her muzzle with ought leaving her place at Velk's side, drawing Kagerus closer with her greeting. 

"Maybe we should start your training right now?" the gold splashed mare suggests as her cerulean gaze is drawn back to the colt. Her voice hold a hint of laughter, but Solace hopes that her answers are enough for her son for now - that he doesn't let the mystery of his father's identity fester in his heart. 

@[Velk] he is welcome to toss in more questions in that little gap between Solace's answer and her noticing kag! or he can ask after Kag comes up, either way Smile