Beqanna
[open] Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Explore (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Common Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+---- Forum: Forest (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+---- Thread: [open] Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) (/showthread.php?tid=23692)

Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Eyas - 05-06-2019

I have three eyes

Her mother’s first mistake was allowing Marni to watch over the triplets.
If Eyas was ever heard to she could’ve told her that herself, but her dam only quieted the young filly and made her promise to behave for her elder sibling. However, the buckskin pegasus thought, clambering her way through the dark winter Forest, she didn’t exactly say how long I had to behave for. And that elicited a sweet, mischievous smile which bloomed over her darker lips and lit up her little black eyes.

Eyas was… troublesome at best. The only female born along with two other males and since then, she’d hit the ground running trying to keep up with them. Tiercel, her eldest triplet brother (don’t you forget it) was an asshat. With Marni off in the distance primping herself the three children had gotten to talking and soon enough an argument had arisen.

Unsure of how it began, Eyas knew the discussion centered on distances and how far the playground was from Loess. She’d claimed it wasn’t that far, to which Tiercel had very rudely replied that it was and she was stupid; it would take forever to get there. Gale, the smallest of the triplets and undoubtedly Eyas’ most beloved of brothers, had piped up that it wouldn’t take forever if one flew there: to which Tiercel spat that they were babies and, obviously, their wings were useless.

Eyas hadn’t like that, not one bit.

“At least we have wings.” She’d grumbled, knowing it was a mistake but sensing the need to protect sweet Gale. Tiercel had eyed her in disbelief (his lack of the family trait was a sore spot, never to be touched) and then growled in rage before barreling into her for a fight. They squalled, Gale cried out for them to stop, and eventually Marni came over to break them up. “You’ll see!” Eyas has spat at him after being torn away, “I’ll go there and come back before dinner tonight.”

And as soon as Marni had looked away again, Eyas had slipped off.

Now she was lost. Sort of. She knew this was the great Forest because it was nearby their nest back home, but she also knew there should be a river around her somewhere and unfortunately (after what seemed like hours) she had yet to find it. With her multicolored wings tucked close beside her for warmth, she looked up to the left and then to the right. Haven’t I passed this way before? She thought, unsure enough that her tiny hooves held still and doubt began to creep in.

The Forest seemed darker then. She swallowed hard and glanced between the bare, twisted branches, her skin shivering. A sound somewhere nearby sounded like the steps of a predator wolf and she whimpered, softly, before sinking to the ground like a delicate fawn. If she covered herself with her wings and tucked her head into their shadows, perhaps the monster would overlook her and she could be on her way.

two to look and one to see

Eyas

RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Catcher - 05-14-2019

It was a ping that had brought her here; the kind felt in  the gut that nags at the back of the mind.  It’s a whim and a promising feeling of all the best things possible that refuses to go unnoticed.  Lucky for Fate today, her target is not one that needed much convincing and prodding.  Because no sooner than that tingle blossomed in her belly than did Catcher disappear between the trees that would swallow her home in the darkness behind her.

“Be back before dark,” her mother said to the girl’s vanishing back.  A small nod and a head turned slightly back is the only affirmation she would get of her daughter’s understanding and it would have to be enough.  Wanderlust had claimed the girl’s spirit not long after her first steps, in both this world and the world her father had created for her, and Kerrigan had long ago abandoned the hope that her girl would grow out of it.  But just as every time before, worry would feather the lines of her brow when her head lowered to the grass below, praying to an ever absent God that she was raising  a child right this time.

Briar tangled and dirt stained, the filly lost herself in the shadows and naked limbs that caught her chestnut mane as she passed.  Normally, she would let their grasp slow her down, dragging her strides to a meandering crawl as she’d mimic the song of the birds above and watch the dance of the worms underneath.  But today she hardly noticed the slow unraveling of  minutes wasted in the Forest around her, because she was much more interested in the crackling of roots and twigs not far ahead.

Young and naive, the more dangerous ways of this world are foreign to her, so when she comes across a strangely marked girl not far from her own age, uncertainty does little to cause her to hesitate.  Apparently unnoticed thus far, the girl spares a quick glance around them with curious amber eyes before dipping her horned head closer to the guarded form.  Exhaling a puff of breath against the winged one’s mane, “Are you alright?”

@[Eyas]

RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Eyas - 05-15-2019

I have three eyes

Hardly daring to peek out between the white spaces in between her feathers, Eyas softens her breathing so that she can listen. For a moment there’s only silence, the comfort of shadows around her face and the warmth of her body curled into itself, and then another twig snaps. She shrinks further into herself, blaming Tiercel for her eventual death because she’s sure that it must be a wolf or a bear, maybe even something worse. Her fears are magnified by not-knowing, changing their shape and sinister intent with every trippy breath in her lungs.

The crackle of dry leaves fades when a scent washes over her, surprisingly pleasant and earthy. So afraid of who or what it might be, Eyas begins to cry softly: little whimpers she attempts to stifle in the crook of her wing. Without purpose her magic reacts, driven to the surface by need and not desire, turning the tangible girl invisible slowly like ink fading into water.

A gust of hot air - certainly the whuff of a killer before devouring its prey - blasts over her stiff, upright mane, sending a small waveshock through the onyx bristles, and then the sound of her tormentor chirps aloud.

Like a flash Eyas dispels her cloak of secrecy, popping her head out and up from the cover of darkness to stare with still-wet eyes at the young unicorn girl. Her gaze is intense and fiery, though dark. Depthless and full of questions, taking in the sight of the other filly and her wild state. In a burst of motion her immature wings spread aside, giving room for the leggy filly to scramble to her feet before she stumbles forward to embrace the other horse. “Oh!” Eyas sighs, “I was so afraid, I thought… ”

She stops, pulls back. Laughs while blinking through her teary eyes.

“I got lost.” She explains, ears held forward. The young daughter of Loess eases back and rolls both wings to her deep, golden sides. “But I’m so glad you’re you, and not some bear or something.”

The soft curve of her neck twists, her wide eyes taking on that curious tilt again. “I’m Eyas. What’re you called?”

Eyas

@[Catcher]

RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Catcher - 05-21-2019

The girl fades before her, blending into the earthen floor as if she’d never even been there.  Had Catcher not seen it herself, or already caught the scent of sunshine and airy things on the pegasus, then she might’ve actually believed she had melted into the forest ground and disappeared for good.  A quick blink of the serpent’s eyes gives away the winged one’s heat signature for good measure before switching back again.  She couldn’t help it; she had to be extra sure the girl was still there for one reason or another.

With surprising speed, the pegasus reappears with eyes trained directly on the chestnut painted filly, holding her captive with a strange intensity that caused  her to stiffen.   “Neat trick” she utters quickly, unsure of what else to say as the agile girl wraps around her, followed by a muffled oof as their bodies met. Feeling a little awkward, having never really been embraced by anyone other than her mother and father, she takes half a step backward before the other girl pulls away.  Was this the way that “friends” acted? She’d always been curious, but mother always moved them around every few days or so, so making and keeping friends had never been possible. “ I’m just glad you’re alright.”

She hadn’t been able to notice before, but as the girl pushes back, her honey eyes fall along the drying trail of tears that stained her face.  The look of  thoughtful confusion dispels into a soft smile of concern, finally getting a good look at the girl she would now know as Eyas.  

Between quiet giggles she says, “Well I’m definitely not a bear in this realm, but I’m definitely a something else. Or at least that’s what my mother calls me sometimes.” With a shrug of faux innocence, her smile grows a little bit wider in comfortable mischief.

“My name is Catcher. Were you looking for something? Is that why you got lost?”

@[Eyas]

RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Eyas - 05-24-2019

I have three eyes

Of course it never occurs to Eyas that there might be horses outside of a herd mentality. She knows the common word for them: Nomads; her father often denotes the phrase as if were dirty. For herself there’s always been laughter and love, piles of feathers and sweet kisses from two parents who defy Beqanna statistical odds of being together and monogamous. She’s too young and too rose-colored right now, only just beginning to understand the deeper parts of herself that’ll someday allow her to see through another’s eyes.

But Catcher isn’t the dirty picture Eyas had painted in her mind of a loner. To her it makes more sense that this young unicorn, who giggles along with her and seems incredibly kind, has also come from a situation exactly like the one waiting for the winged girl back in Loess. She’s equal to - no, greater than the blue-tainted buckskin, saying things that resonate inside of her peer when Eyas answers back, “Oh I know what you mean. Mother shakes her head and mutters under her breath when my brother and I play the look-see game. We’re oddballs.”

There’s an obvious air of pride at being different. The look-see game was something she and Gale played since birth, something all their own that older triplet Tiercel couldn’t interfere in. Eyas or Gale would close their eyes, and whoever kept them open would send the vision to the blinded one and try to see if they could keep them in a straight line.

Of course, the fun in the game was imagining something not there, like removing a brittlebush from sight, then watching the blinded one stumble into prickly leaves and scratchy branches.

“It’s hilarious.” Eyas says after explaining all of this quickly to her new friend. “Except I got what momma calls ‘hot-headed’ and thought I could make it to the playground by myself, and now Gale won’t look-see me back and I don’t even know where I am. So yea, that’s how I got lost.”

She huffs, and the one long portion of her forelock (typically falling behind the curve of her right eye) flutters away from the breeze.

“Do you know how to get to Loess?” Eyas asks her companion, flicking her short tail and stamping her hind leg, “My wings, um… they’re not ready yet.”

Eyas

@[Catcher] I got a strange Dora the Explorer vibe from my last few sentences

RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Any) - Catcher - 08-13-2019

Others were different than her, or at least that’s what Kerrigan had explained.   Mother had then gone on to explain how ‘different’ wasn’t the same as ‘bad’ too.  She’d been told by the grey painted mare one day as they traced the lines of the herdlands, that some folks preferred to live in large groups for comraderie and protection and that one day Catcher would be able to make that choice of where to live when she was older.  But not now while she was still young, because mother was scared of something.  Of what, she couldn’t tell exactly, but she could see the hesitation and withdrawal in her mother’s eyes when she danced around catchers question of why they couldn’t live with others now.  Maybe mother would tell her someday.  

But now as she stares inquisitively at her new friend, no judgement is passed as the girl explains the look-see game she plays with her brother.  Truth be told, she doesn’t even understand the definition of judgment, or even that it’s a word at all. “I don’t know what an oddball is, but it sounds fun!”

Standing as tall as she possibly could manage, as if it might help her see over the trees where Loess might indeed be, she spun a full circle around them while scenting the air. Feeling defeated, she lowered her eyes as her ears drifted sideways, “I’m sorry, I don’t.”. As the silence followed, she kicked at a small stone in front of her until it flipped over, revealing the damp underside of it.  She watched as the worms wriggled in the soil, brought on from the exposure that the stone had once shielded them from.  It was always like gazing upon a brand new wonder; a hidden world only revealed by changing what you could.

That was when the thought struck her, that maybe she could find Loess and help her companion.  Nearly jolting out of her skin, her skinny legs began to dance in place excitedly. Quickly, she glanced around them again, as if her mama bear might jump out and scold her for even having such a thought.  Oh, but mother would be so cross with her if she found out she were going to use her juvenile powers. 

Content that Kerrigan wasn’t going to pop out, grab her by the horn, and drag her away, her fierce gaze found Eyas’. “I have an idea.  Think you could go for a nap?”

———————-

Minutes bled by, and soon after first closing her eyes, Catcher opened them to the brilliant sunshine of the veiled world her father had introduced her to.  Donning a new pair of fiery chestnut wings, the unicorn looked to where the original pegasus now stirred, now sporting a fully mature set of wings herself. 

“I’m not strong enough to hold us here for long,” she shouted, loping into a clearing just as soon as Eyas had stood.  “Let’s go find your home!,” she yelled with a final heave, launching herself into the waiting sky.

@[Eyas]