Beqanna
[private] I love the light I've found - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Explore (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Common Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+---- Forum: Meadow (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: [private] I love the light I've found (/showthread.php?tid=29317)

Pages: 1 2

I love the light I've found - Israfel - 04-29-2021

ISRAFEL
Israfel had been born into darkness. She’d been kept safe during it, shrouded in shadows and invisible to the creatures that moved about. Invisible to most things - it had not occurred to the filly to stray far from her mother. Had not occurred to her that the world was larger than the patch of forest they stuck to.

And now, her world was slowly growing larger. It had been a shock to her to see the sun for the first time - how it had blazed in the sky without warning, turning the world vivid. Turning her into a creature not of shadow, but of gold - just like her mother. That had been the most startling change, but one she’s gotten used to as the seasons change. She is no longer startled by the catch of light on her metallic coat.

Israfel’s instinct is to remain in the forest, where she blends in with the shadows and can remain hidden from sight, but her curiosity has been growing and it’s given her the courage to continue to expand her world.

This morning, she’s reached the border of the forest and after a big inhale, steps into the meadow. Her body becomes visible as she does, every strand of hair and piece of her shifting to a brilliant, shimmering gold.

Her eyes dance with a mixture of excitement and apprehension, moving around in the open alone for the first time in her young life. She’s late to the game, as far as exploring goes, but eager to make up lost time as she takes slow, cautious steps - alternating between getting distracted by the wide expanse of the pale blue sky and the other figures moving about.

@[Reave]

RE: I love the light I've found - Reave - 04-30-2021

i am the mace, the map, the fall and the high

Though he had known light before the dark, he had been so young when the moon eclipsed the sun that light had become nearly a stranger to him. Now, with the sun bursting with light and life above them, it is almost as though all truth had been revealed as the cloak of darkness had been stripped away. Secrets had been let loose and things that had once been easily buried no longer were.

It’s foolish of him to imagine that his life as it stood now was so messily convoluted. It could be so very much worse, but to a colt verging on stallion-hood - one who had never known true strife - it is hard to imagine the depths to which one could still fall.

But perhaps it is that very fact that led him to delve into the well of his gift far more than he ever had previously. To plumb the edges of that which he already knows and find that which he still had to learn. The world around him nearly shrieks it's dark and lamentable secrets, written in the memories strung around them on emotions, glimmering like fairy lights. Trapped in the sights that never lie.

It is both addictive and disturbing, but it is the life Reave had always been destined for.

Still, he is restless, unable to settle lest his own truths catch up with him. So on this clear and chilly day, Reave finds himself making his way with an unconscious abandon through the withered grasses of the meadow. It is only when the glint of something bright and gleaming catches his eye that he slows. His gaze, a sharp and vibrant blue that pays unwitting testimony to his heritage, fixes on the source.

She is young, a wide-eyed innocence in her metallic form that he recognizes. That had been him, not so very long ago. She is undoubtedly lovely as well, but that is not what draws him to her (though he could most certainly not compete - not with the unsightly vision of bone rupturing skin, of blood, dried and crack, softened only by the muted glow emitting from the wounds).

No, what draws him is the memories dancing thrilling circles around her. Memories of a gentle peaceful life. He is not quite certain if it is because he wants to protect what he only recently realized is so very precious, or if it is because he wants to show her the truth of the world, lest she break herself to pieces on the rocks beneath the precarious cliff she has no clue she is on. Or perhaps it’s because she needs a push.

Only time would tell.

“The sun suits you,” he greets, drawing to a halt when he nears, an almost charming grin toying with his lips. “Is this your first time?”

reave

@[Israfel]

RE: I love the light I've found - Israfel - 05-01-2021

ISRAFEL
Israfel is both delighted and nervous when someone approaches - and it’s difficult to say whether she is attempting not to stare because this is the first time she’s met anyone other than her mother, or because of the glowing bones that are protruding from his skin. Likely a combination of the two. It looks like it hurts terribly, and she wishes she knew some way to help, but then the friendly greeting contrasts that idea enough for her to be confused.

So far, existing in the wider world appears to be a place of complicated thoughts. Israfel didn’t know it was possible to be able to think and wonder so many things at the same time.

The trend continues - because she’s pleased to hear that the sun suits her and a little embarrassed that he was able to guess so quickly that it was her first time out. Did that mean she was doing something wrong?

A quiet “Yes” is her only response at first. But just managing that one syllable seems to be enough to give her the courage to speak more because she brightens a little, like she’s just figured out the secret to something (managing one word feels like she’s unlocked the ability to give voice to the words bouncing around in her mind). So a question of her own leaves her right away, her voice still quiet - a voice used to hushed conversations in the darkness. “Did you change colours when the sun came back too?” Her gold eyes are soft but not subtle now about taking in the chestnut of his coat and those strange bones.

Israfel wonders if it is a normal part of growing up, becoming visible and finding a colour. Other questions start to chase themselves around her mind - like whether this boy was identical to his mother the same way she was hers, whether all children look exactly like their parents, and just what lay beyond what she could see from this spot.

@[Reave]

RE: I love the light I've found - Reave - 05-03-2021

Like him, she has a vast future sprawling before her, waiting to be discovered. Her past is still short and brief, the experiences that gave rise to the true depth of emotion that would inevitably wrap her in memories still to come. It’s intoxicating in a way - to look at another being and know their life had yet to be lived, to imagine the things that might come. In this moment, Reave is little more than a precursor for her.

There is power in that knowledge. A heady power that may not yet be suited for someone like Reave, a young man with such a wild and chaotic energy still churning inside, no outlet in sight.

The grin on the edge of his lips blooms in truth at her response, the softness of her words redolent with the flavor of her uncertainty and growing bravery. He tilts his head curiously, peering at her as the question leaves her. His foot, unconsciously lifted, returns to the ground as he shifts with a restless energy.

Still, the implications of her question strike him, making him wonder what she’d looked like before. He could look, of course. Even might. But why risk ruining what fun there could be had if he didn’t just yet?

“No,” he replies easily, gaze sharpening as he studies her with a roguish eye. “I can’t say it did.” He pauses, moving closer, gaze never wavering. He reaches out as though to brush her golden shoulder with his nose, but before he can quite touch her, he abruptly withdraws, expression devilish. “So you changed colors, hm?” His grin widens ever so slightly, and when he continues, his question is leading, as though they had only begun to scratch the surface of his true purpose. “Do you think you’ll change colors again?”

reave

@[Israfel]

RE: I love the light I've found - Israfel - 05-07-2021

ISRAFEL
Israfel frowns in confusion when he replies to her question, wondering if it meant anything that he hadn’t changed colours like she had. She’d only had one theory - that the same thing happened to all youth - and now she doesn’t know what to think. She does not truly grasp yet, just how little she knows about the world - how little she’s retained when she could have been watching. It had never occurred to her before now that there could be things out there that she should be paying attention to.

She’s paying attention now though.

When he reaches out to touch her but withdraws, her frown deepens and she tries to glance at her shoulder to see if something was there that had discouraged him. She doesn’t know enough yet to know whether she would have minded or not, but she doesn’t think so - she knew the touch of her mother, of branches and leaves as she moved through the forest. It was all the same, wasn’t it?

He continues speaking and that frown of confusion eases away. The golden girl considers his question very carefully, putting more thought into it than was strictly necessary. But she wanted to make sure she answered it right - it felt important that she should be honest. “Yes, when I go back into the shadows.” She glances at the forest behind her, and though she does not really want to go back there, his smile and curiosity encourage her to ask “Do you want to see?” when she turns back around to face him - her small smile brightening a little at the idea that there was something she could actually share.

@[Reave]

RE: I love the light I've found - Reave - 05-12-2021

There is so much innocence in the frown that creases her lips, the confusion that his actions cause. It is obvious even to Reave, who has not yet grown so much that he has truly left all his own naivete behind him. Reave, who is surprised to find her so confident she would change colors again. He tilts his head and peers at her with a growing curiosity, wondering at this odd girl who is not so very much younger than he.

When she asks if he would like to see, he knows immediately that he would. But he does not need them to traipse over to the glowering branches to do so. He does not need them to, but he finds himself wanting them to. And perhaps beyond the trees, there would be more. Has she truly witnessed anything beyond the meadow and the forest? Seen the wonders this continent possesses?

He rather doubts it. A doubt he easily confirms. And though Reave has been seeking wonders almost from the day of his birth, he has not yet come anywhere close to seeing them all. But he had always loved sharing his misadventures far better than when he went alone.

“Yes, show me.” He agrees because he hopes it will only be the start. His slightly crooked grin filled with impish delight serves to highlight that desire. A foreshadowing of the next words to fall from his lips. “Is it only the shadows? Or are there other things too?”

Did she even know? If not, he would be remiss if he didn’t help her find out.

reave

@[Israfel]

RE: I love the light I've found - Israfel - 05-16-2021

ISRAFEL
She’s delighted that he says yes, that there’s something that she’s capable of sharing with someone else that could be even remotely interesting. That smile brightens a little more when he asks more questions, and even though she does not know the answers to them she likes that he asks, likes to see someone so easily display the curiosity she feels but can never quite get the words out to express (even if she had spoken to anyone except her mother and now this strange boy).

“I think it’s just the shadows, but I don’t know.” She tells him as she leads the way back to the forest, hoping these answers don’t negate his previous interest. Her golden eyes scan the treeline and she picks out a shadowy spot that she can fit into without much fuss. It doesn’t feel so much like she’s going backward instead of forward with the bone-armoured colt with her. She isn’t retreating this time, not really. Surely this trip into the woods is going to be a short one, and she isn’t even going very far. Just enough for the shadows to block out the light.

This is different than when she was in there alone because there’s a little bit of excitement breathing life into her again. So the steadying breath she needs is a very small one. Israfel steps into the shadowy treeline and disappears from sight - turning around quickly to watch the reaction on her new (only) friend's face.

There is a quiet, proud note in her voice when she speaks again “See?” Though, of course, not being seen was the whole point to this trick she could do.

@[Reave]

RE: I love the light I've found - Reave - 05-17-2021

With a few simple words, she confirms his suspicions as they move to the treeline where shadows lay in abundance. A confirmation that delights Reave to his very core. One that opens the door for infinite possibilities, if only she would agree to them.

As she slips into the shadows, skin darkening as it blends perfectly into them, Reave eyes her with a critical stare. He moves, making a short half-circle around her as he inspects the change. With his seemingly endless supply of shadowy relations, Reave immediately recognizes what has happened, though he doesn’t say so.

Instead he grins at her (or rather, the spot she’d disappeared into), blue eyes glinting with a boyish charm. “I’m not certain whether to be impressed or jealous.”

He steps back then, waiting for her to reappear before tilting his to eye her with a speculative curiosity. Features slipping into something much more serious, he leans in slightly, gaze fixed on her with a surprising intensity, before asking, “You said you didn’t know if it was just shadows - have you ever tried testing out other things?”

With each word, it becomes increasingly clear exactly what his intentions are. He could only hope she would be more curious than alarmed. Though, based on their encounter thus far, he strongly suspects it would be the former.

reave

@[Israfel]

RE: I love the light I've found - Israfel - 05-19-2021

ISRAFEL
Israfel laughs lightly at his reaction, glad to have inspired a grin - but she’s not quite bold enough to tell him she’d like for him to be both jealous and impressed. It feels bold to even think that,

She steps back into the light when he steps away, her golden frame returning to sight and with it her cautious smile is something brighter, something a little more real. It feels as though she’s passed some sort of test, that she’s proven herself interesting. His curiosity is catching - Israfel doesn’t know herself well enough to know that the feeling inside of her is the desire to please, especially if it means this colt will continue to stick around a little longer and maybe show her a little of all the things he knows.

For a moment, when his grin slips into a more serious expression, she worries she’s done something wrong. She doesn’t look away from his gaze and is pleased when he speaks and his voice carries more questions about what she can do. His intensity does not faze her, it only serves to make her more interested. She’s a little embarrassed that she hasn’t tried exploring her own powers more but that feeling is easily brushed aside because if she had experimented more, then they wouldn’t be able to do that together.

She can only hope she continues to be interesting.

So Israfel shakes her head to confirm that she has not tried testing out other things. And then, because she trusts his judgement and knowledge of the world far more than she does her own, she asks in an excited whisper. “What else should I try?”

@[Reave]

RE: I love the light I've found - Reave - 05-20-2021

As misplaced as that trust undoubtedly is, Reave is rather pleased to have it. A dubious honor, at best, especially considering his penchant for flirting far too freely with the lines of propriety. In the wake of her question, Reave pauses to consider her quietly, eyeing the gleaming gold that had returned the moment she stepped from the clinging shadows.

In the midst of the silence, the large raptor that had been circling overhead, so distantly he would have been little more than a speck on the horizon, drops from the sky above to land heavily on a wide, low branch. The brittle branches knock together, breaking the silence. Reave’s gaze however, does not move from the gilded girl before him. “Then you haven't tried water?”

He speaks as though they had not just been interrupted by the predatory bird, grin edging back on to his lips. His earlier stillness is broken as he shifts restlessly until he is a few paces away, gaze breaking from her to peer speculatively into the distance. His gaze goes blank and flat for a moment before just as quickly lighting with a spark of gleeful intent.

Twisting his head around to peer at her invitingly, he asks, “There’s something not far from here.” His jewel-bright eyes darken with the possibilities swirling around them even as a smirk teases his lips. “Care to go?”

reave

@[Israfel]