• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

like the dawn, you broke the dark - kag

Breathe.

Solace drags the clean, icy air across her lips and a contraction ripples across her abdomen. The frost was thick around her, reflecting the moonlight in minuscule fragments. Likewise, the water of the bay is alive with silver light; everything around them seems to be painted in the cool colors of winter.

The child was early, just by a bit, but Solace hadn't had time to worry. Tangerine had told the mothers to be that another princeling would be among them before spring, and with that information, Solace had let thoughts of her pregnancy fall away from her mind - making way for more pressing matters. Between the plague, kingdom shuffling, and missing children there had been plenty of fires to be chased. But nature will not be denied, and now that the process of birth has been set in motion there is no denying it.

But the late winter air feels good on her skin as she walks along the shore, lifting her wings to let the breeze caress her sides. 

Another early contraction causes the pale mare's eyes to flutter and her pace to slack, but when it has passed she knows it is time to find Kagerus. With their three youngest believing themselves grown, their nest had been relatively empty, and she finds her mate alone as she had expected. "Kag?" Solace calls into a stand of naked birch where they had spent the night before. "Come take a walk with me, and keep my mind off..." she draws another sharp breath as her belly jumps, and she gestures with a toss of her head back towards her barrel, "this."

S
    olace
        we're reeling through an endless fall
    we are the ever-living ghost of what once was

@[Kagerus]
    Solghostdoll2

Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

To say that I am grateful for the harmonious nature of mine and Solace's relationship would be an understatement. Ever since our fight - the only one of real consequence over the years, the one that left her immortal and I facially scarred - we've plied ourselves to understanding and compassion, to patience and to trust. In the face of all these changes, those qualities are invaluable: we stand alone as the sole kingdom in Beqanna to have fully conquered our fourth of the continent, with not a drop of bloodshed nor barely any spitting of heated words.

As such, although the stress has been an enormous weight on our shoulders, the seamless foundation of our relationship has allowed Solace and I to effectively ignore her pregnancy. Not in a neglectful way, but one in which we simply allow it to come to us instead of worrying over it as we have in the past. Hell, this pregnancy has been a breeze compared to all our other ones combined. First mine, when we thought I would be dying; then her twins with another stallion; and then our triplets. Indeed, having one child that is not going to kill one of us feels almost like not being pregnant at all!

At least, until labour kicks in.

Snow still lines the floor of Silver Cove, winter's last attempt to make us Beqannans cold and miserable. But when Solace finds me today, misery is the last thing on my mind; I am trotting excitedly towards her before my name even leaves her lips, the scent of her having wafted downwind to me before she needed to.

"Solace," I call in reply, the syllables of her name resembling manifestations of love and ardor more than vocalizations. She asks me to take a walk with her but I'm busy tangling my nose up in the locks of her mane, pressing my chest to hers and leaving a trail of kisses down her sweaty neck. When her stomach jolts with the pain of a contraction however, I draw back (her mane stuck on prongs of my antlers and getting ripped a little indelicately as I yank myself free with a good-natured chuckle) and consent.

"Where to, my Queen? The ends of the earth?" I kiss her cheek and nuzzle her around, such that we begin walking back the way we came. I gesture grandly with my crown of bones, towards the bay and to the mountains of Hyaline. "I fear that I cannot grant thee this wish, oh love of my heart - but I can walk you along this place that you have banished me to, for fear of my health, though you are the antidote to my every ailment."

My eyes find hers, and for a split second, I manage to keep a straight face - but then I am laughing, the excitement of our coming child writ in every line of my face.

@[Solace]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

"I won't make it that far tonight," Solace replies, enjoying the distraction of her wife's company and the much-needed cascade of laughter which follows. "But maybe Tuesday," she adds with a kiss once she has caught her breath again, unaware that the fairies would be calling on them to do nearly that before the week was out. 

The ache between her legs intensifies, demanding more of her attention, and Solace turns away from the cove towards a stand of pale birch trees. Birth was becoming a well-practiced ritual for her, but still, excitement tinted with anxiety courses through her veins heightening every sensation. 

Sand turns to winter grass below her hooves, and Solace sinks to the earth, her legs folding neatly below her. Her wings flutter again, letting the cool air cross her sweat soaked skin and she waits for her sixth child. Her breath comes quicker as she pushes, urging the foal into the world.

After that it is quick, she would remember this birth as the easiest,  and soon their son is beside them. Solace feels Kagerus move in the dark, and she opens her eyes to twist her neck back and over her body to see him. 

Her heart swells, she is still amazed by the delicacy of each child's tiny face, and she adjusts to bring him alongside herself. Gently she helps Kagerus clean him, marveling at the purity of his white pelt as she does. "Hello, little prince," she huffs, placing the same blessing on his brow she had her other children before looking back to Kagerus. A sheen of blue light dances along her skin and her eyes shine just as brightly as she does. 

"What shall we call him?"  

S
    olace
        we're reeling through an endless fall
    we are the ever-living ghost of what once was

@[laura] @[Kagerus]
    Solghostdoll2

love is my religion. i could die for that.

Impossible boy.

The impossibility of him floods through his veins, beating against the disease that should have killed him, that should have pressed him into an early grave. Instead, the poison of it leaks through him and meets an immortality that refuses to let him die—an immortality that rises up to meet it, clashing in his thin chest.

Each breath. Each taste of life is a gift, a stolen treasure, and when he opens his dark purple eyes, he almost knows it—almost recognizes it. He blinks away the confusion and the darkness to reveal the light, tilting his chin upward and viewing the two mares who hover over him, who look down upon him with something like hope in their eyes, something like love. Something that spreads warmth through his bones.

His nose wrinkles and flares, his body an impossible white, pure as virgin snow, and glowing ever so faintly, illuminating the space around him. His tongue touches his lip and then they split, curving in the corners, a dreamy smile touching his face as he struggles to his feet, rising from the ground.

He is a surprisingly somber boy for his age, galaxies blossoming in his chest, impossibilities crafting themselves in his very blood. He takes a step forward to his mothers, white nose skimming across Solace’s belly as he makes his way down her side until he can find what he hunts for.

As the warmth fills his mouth and slips down his throat, he sighs.

This is home, between these two mares, and even though his mind has not formed enough to wrap around the truth of it, it is the first lesson that he learns. The love that surrounds him becomes writ upon his bones as one of the most sacred truths of this world and he clutches it close to him, letting it form him as it may.

i could die for you.

Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

With soft kisses and doting looks exchanged as the pains of birth intensify in Solace's belly, we make our way to a copse of stark white birch trees not far off. Though I've only been with Solace for one of her births, there had happened to be three that time; as I watch her settle into the curve of the earth, I know that this will be easier. Still, I find myself pacing as she begins the process. When quiet noises of pain and discontent fall from her lips, I am by her side, mouth pressed to her cheek such that I might murmur words of encouragement to the bravest woman I shall ever know.

When he comes, elation at first fills me: but then a pang as I glimpse the pure white of his coat. I'd never considered the possibility of our union producing a lethal white foal, though Kavi had warned me as much decades ago when I reached sexual maturity. For a moment, I fear for the life of our new child, anxiety ripping at the muscles of my chest; but then a strange calm surrounds me. I know this child intimately; I have been in his dreams; and as his purple eyes flutter open and find mine, I know that he will be okay. He may have died save for the magic invested in this continent; I say a silent prayer of thanks to the Beqanna gods as I behold him. Our son.

What shall we call him?

My eyes return to Solace now, watching as she places long, cleansing strokes of her tongue against our son's wet figure. I step forward to help before answering, marvelling in the ways the boy matches the way I'd imagined him in our dreams. He smells young and like Solace, and he even glows like her, too; it becomes more and more evident as the darkness falls, and I find that I cannot help but to shake my head.

"He is perfect, Sol. You made him perfect."

As if to demonstrate my assertion, the glowing prince glides to his feet without much effort, succeeding on his very first try. The lethality of his syndrome is clearly nonexistent, for none of our children have taken to standing this quickly. Smiling an awestruck smile, I reach to gently guide his fumbling nose towards that which he instinctually seeks, staying with my mouth against his suckling throat for a moment until leaving him to feed. "You are so beautiful, my son."

Lifting my head, I find Solace next to me. "I think we will call him Aegean, my love." Gathering her to me, I find my eyes gently closing. If I am tired, she must be exhausted. "Come to sleep, and we shall all dream. Already I see the glow of snowlight, though its hue is purple..." Eyelashes fluttering, we gently fall through consciousness, my words a guide as we navigate a dream whose sweetness is only a taste of that which we've been blessed with tonight.

@[Solace] @[Aegean] cute little closer that makes no sense and is bad but oh well <3
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver