• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

caught in the afterglow; any
    The elder woman is right - Catcher is confident that she would know if it were a dream.

“I am Kagerus.  Your grandmother.”  A glimmer of recognition sparks in the turbid gray of her wide eyes.  The name feels like a distant memory, buried beneath early childhood memories and the passing of time.  Yet it is a name still potent enough to stir up that hidden memory of when her father had first introduced her to cognisant dreaming when she had first heard the name of the dreamer’s matriarch.

But still,  she can’t help but question again if this weren’t all a dream as she watched her grandmother alter the fabric of reality, spinning a replica of her wandering father into a perfect, shimmering existence.  Perhaps this wasn’t exactly a nighttime revelrie, but instead a fully aware daydream?  In the end, the young mare realized it didn’t matter much - not when she could steal away an afternoon with someone like her - someone who she might be able to learn a thing or two from.

“I know of you,” she replied softly, taking a step nearer as the illusion of her father dissolved into the breeze and sunshine.  “He never spoke poorly of you - just plainly.”   There had been nothing of distaste, just the simple facts of her ancestry and how she and her gifts had come to be.  “However, he did fail to mention how pretty you were and for that I will never be able to forgive him.  It’s a relief to know how well I ought to age now.  I was very worried about that.”

Her laughter melds with the tone of her grandmother’s, taking a turn in intensity at the dreadful pun with her name at the butt of the joke.  “Well, there’s not much to say really.  Mom and dad raised me well and I miss them, but I’m off on my own now.  I’ve met some interesting people along the way…” she tapers off a bit, thinking about the names and faces she’d had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with thus far, lingering on one with a wistful smirk longer than the rest.  “I don’t really have a home either.  I just sort wander and see what I can get into.”

“What about you?  I’m sure you’ve got lots of stories and wisdom to share with a roving dreamer.”

@[Kagerus]

Messages In This Thread
    caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-26-2020, 06:51 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-28-2020, 04:53 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-29-2020, 03:24 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM