• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'm afraid i'm not pious - heartfire

you can run but you can't hide
    breath on your skin, I've arrived

Why, she demands. And isn’t that always the question? The niggling desire to know more pressing forever at the back of one’s skull?

Of course, Aletta couldn’t know the statement hadn’t been meant for her. Suspicion of such an impossible claim is only natural. Unfortunately, despite Heartfire’s understanding of it, it does not make her any more inclined to explain. Especially when any explanation would mean admitting even she doesn’t know all of the answers. Or all the why’s.

The one’s like, why this filly? Of all the descendants born to her line thus far, why would this one bond in such an unusual way with her? As far as she could tell, she had inherited none of her abilities. There is nothing in her presence or thoughts to suggest a reason. And while she is certain there must be one, she has become increasingly convinced it lies elsewhere.

After what is no doubt an interminable stretch of silence to the gray mare, Heartfire finally shifts her gaze from the filly, a faint sigh escaping her lips as her sharp blue eyes flick towards their companion. “Not you,” she finally clarifies, though clarify is perhaps a loose definition of the statement. “Aela.”

She allows the corners of her lips to kick up slightly. A half-hearted attempt at any sort of cordiality, but better than none. After all, the woman had had no obligation to stand guard over a lost child as she had. “I appreciate the time you’ve given to ensure her safety. Now that I am here though, I’m certain you have much better things to occupy yourself with.”

While the last may sound like nothing more than a friendly suggestion, only a fool would take it as such. And given her response to her arrival, Aletta doesn’t strike Heartfire as a fool.

heartfire

Messages In This Thread
    i'm afraid i'm not pious - heartfire - by aletta - 06-08-2020, 08:48 PM
    RE: i'm afraid i'm not pious - heartfire - by Heartfire - 07-02-2020, 03:46 PM