• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i will not speak of your sin; aquaria
    aquaria
    - THE TIDE IS HIGH, IT'S SINK OR SWIM -

Aquaria stilled at his comment, lips parted with growing concern. The dark had felt oppressive, hungry even, but she had written that off as the paranoia that seemed part and parcel when nature took a wrong turn. That there might be substance to the fear felt like a pellet of ice dropped into her stomach. 

Her ears tipped backward, suddenly very aware of every creaking tree, every eerie bird call. The scream that she would have ignored as a hunting foussa any other time, but now... Was there something more sinister prowling her island? She searched the dimly illuminated expression on Tiercel's face, and found no lies. 

"I thought the dark was playing tricks on me..." She admitted softly. It felt like a failure, to say that she had not sensed the danger that lurked. Hadn't even considered the possibility of it. "Thank you for telling me." She added, knowing that as much as it hurt her pride not to grace picked up on it herself, it was far better than being taken by surprise. Surprises were not a thing the nereid enjoyed, monsters or no. 

A myriad of things ran through her mind now, the need to verify the threat, to determine how badly they were in danger. What she could do to keep the islanders safe. Would they be better off here? Or should she consider moving them to the mainland, where they would have the support of the kingdom? She almost missed the next piece of his conversation. 

Advice? What advice could she possibly give to improve someone's life? It was a deer in the headlights moment for the seamare. She exhaled roughly, the beginnings of a headache blooming behind her eyes. "If the ocean is missing, don't go look for it," she blurted at last, a helpless shrug following the declaration. It was island wisdom, hardly universal advice. And it had nothing to do with dealing with everyday life problems. 

Eyes crushed shut, she tried again. "Some horses are meant to be taken care of. Some are meant to take care of others. Even if it's lonely. Or thankless. If they're depending on you, you can't let them down." It was stupid advice. She knew that as soon as it left her mouth. 

How many visitors had she advised the exact opposite to? That you couldn't ignore your own peace of mind forever without it biting you in the tail sooner or later. It was so much easier to advise than to follow that same advice though. Her entire job here was to help others relax. It was incredible how little time that left for her own relaxation. And now... Well. The pearl scaled mare was wound tighter than a boa constrictor on an unwary peccary.

- MY ONLY RIVAL IS WITHIN -

@[Tiercel]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i will not speak of your sin; aquaria - by Aquaria - 01-16-2021, 08:46 PM