• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  this is going to break me clean it two
    Mazikeen
    When he says it’s up to her, Mazikeen cannot help the eye roll that is her immediate response as she mutters “Great. No pressure.” There’s only dark humour in the words, though, and no smile to soften it. Maybe she should’ve expected a response like that - she’s not sure why she thought he’d be the one to tell her when it was time.

But she is also so relieved that it doesn't have to be today.

And when Gale mentions his parents, she feels sadness creep through her and an ache in her heart. What must that have been like? She’d known it had been in his family but hadn’t really thought about how close it was. Did he have to watch his father succumb to the same thing he was dealing with? She doesn’t ask. Just as she doesn’t ask if she could ask his mother for tips on how to deal with someone with the curse. It’s probably in poor taste.

She shifts then into a margay, a smaller version of the ocelot shape he is wearing and (with a bit of concentration) makes her colouring completely black except for her eyes. It’s a small joke, appearing like an animal from his home while he is dressed in the colours of hers. She nimbly climbs down to a lower branch of her pine so she’s closer to eye-level with him. As much as she enjoyed being taller and larger, she doesn’t think much of being smaller now. It is a false sense of innocence, much like the expression he had given her.

“Until I can’t stand you? That’ll either be 30 seconds from now or 30 years.” It’s the closest she’ll get to admitting she wants a long life with Gale in it and saying it as a joke that can be shrugged off is the only way she’ll let herself speak it. Her head tilts and for a moment, a smile spreads - shining in her orange eyes before she catches herself. Before she reminds herself that she shouldn’t get too comfortable in this conversation because the ground is likely to fall out from under her at any moment. What she wants doesn't really matter, anyway. That's been made clear enough.

So the smile fades away, leaving her feeling cold in its absence and she shifts a little on her branch. “What’s the plan now, then? I just keep spying on you and keeping my distance until it - you - become too much?” Despite her best attempts to keep her tone neutral still, there’s a note of bitterness. She'd absolutely still do it but she hated sneaking around, even though it had been her idea. It had been the only compromise she could think of when he didn't want to see her and she wasn't about to pretend he didn't exist.

@[Gale]

Messages In This Thread
    this is going to break me clean it two - by Gale - 04-02-2021, 10:21 AM
    RE: this is going to break me clean it two - by Mazikeen - 04-07-2021, 02:42 PM