• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

All I ever wanted was the world, babe // Ashhal
    I don't know what I expected. Pity, maybe, but this cold indifference is less painful to bear. It's easier to navigate, to shore myself up against, when I know there's no compassion coming. Neglect twists into a strange kind of strength, when left long enough. My recipe for survival, in a nutshell. 

My lapse begins to crystallize again at his rough words; Melting sugar left to dry again. My chest feels uncomfortably tight where it squeezes around the foreign object its grown around. Easily ignored, with practice. Instead I grunt and let my eyes prickle with unshed moisture, with every bit of rage and ruin that I've collected over the years forced back down. 

"As if I do?" I ask dryly, mouth curling tight around the words as they escape me. It's reckless energy that infiltrates my blood now. Not the manic electricity that I burn with some days, but a low hum that says I have to act, or it will get worse. A threat made by my own existence. My joints creak as a shift from one leg to the other, a gentle rhythm that spends some of the energy. The rest I speak. 

"So what's it to be: fighting? Fucking? A bit of both, maybe. That's why we're here, isn't it?" And my smile is fragmented and feral as it turns on him. "Searching and searching for that just-right combination that'll make forever worth seeing." I haven't found it yet. I doubt he has either. Eternity stretches on agonizingly slow when I know it's all I've got. The same sort of bored knowing reverberates in his sour tones, and I have little hope that we'll ever find what we're really looking for. Not before we're too far gone to recognize it. 

Who knows, though. Forever is a long time, long enough for even the impossible to happen. 

@[Ashhal]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: All I ever wanted was the world, babe // Ashhal - by Sabra - 05-03-2021, 03:19 PM