• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Pink Elephant in the room - Starlore
    ( this world will have the wolves outside your door
    make you leave all that you love to fight a war
    and never tell you what you're dying for )
    For the space of a breath, he swears he hears it.
    “Changed? Me?” Her voice, plain as day, as if she’d said it out loud. But her mouth does not move. As far as he can tell, her only obvious response is an exaggerated rolling of her eyes. Maybe he’d just read too deeply into this, pulled a verbal reaction out of thin air where there had been none. Anticipated what she might have said when she had said nothing at all. 

Confusion casts a shadow across his brow for half an instant before he shakes his head, effectively shaking it out of his mind. He is happy to move on from it, keen to shift the focus of the conversation from him and onto her. He has no doubt that whatever she has been up to has been much more exciting than what he’s gotten up to in the interim. (She, who had accidentally crashed onto the shores of the Cove when they were just kids, compared to him, who had never made it beyond the Cove’s borders.)

His eyes widen at the mention of moving to Loess and grow even wider still when she adds, with all the nonchalance in the world, that she’s been studying under the queen there. Not that he knows what any of that means, seeing as he has absolutely no ambition to speak of. But being a student of the queen sounds like big news.

Wow,” he says, the corners of his mouth turned down in an appreciative frown, “I always knew you’d grow up to be a big deal.” And, with that, the corners up his mouth flip up in a grin.

Then she laughs with her teasing remark and he cannot help but laugh along with her, rolling his shoulders. He knows that she knows, but he feels some need to explain himself regardless. “Truth is, I never left the Cove,” he says and glances toward the horizon. “I had a friend who said she’d come back for me and I guess I thought I’d be easier to find here.” 

starlore

@[Cheri]

Messages In This Thread
    Pink Elephant in the room - Starlore - by Cheri - 05-25-2021, 04:22 PM
    RE: Pink Elephant in the room - Starlore - by starlore - 06-18-2021, 03:37 PM