• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  every lesson forms a new scar
    ‘You just get used to it’. At that claim, Nizhonii raises disbelieving orange brows, the right side of her mouth turning up in amusement at his continued banter, and incredulity at the fact that magic might ever become something a thing she could just ‘get used to’. Until today, until a few minutes ago, magic had been very far from her reach. Though her lineage suggested she should have the ability to Drift, she had never shown any capacity for it. She couldn’t move a hair’s breadth, let alone the several yards of the most skilled.

She is thinking of that, until he starts to tell her of his home. As he speaks of a tropical lagoon, Nizhonii keeps pace with the grey stallion, moving beside him as they travel through the forest. His home is gone, and she suspects it had been claimed by the magic of this world. He has a siblings and was raised with them, by their parents. Nizhonii has heard of such customs, and keeps her surprise that a place with such advanced magic would have such old-fashioned traditions from appearing on her face.

Lautner looks back at her to ask about her homeland.

Hadn’t she introduced herself, she thinks? Nizhonii? Maybe he had not heard her clearly, because if he had, he wouldn’t need to ask.

“I’m from Honii? The Sandseers? The Drifters?” None of their well-known titles seem to strike him as familiar, and the yawning pit of worry that she has Drifted too far begins to feel as vast as the distance she must travel to get back home. To quiet it, she tells him that Honii values its magics, and that they originate from The Drifter and The Sandseer. She knows little about Sandseeing she admits, only that the descendents of the Sandseer can find visions of the past, present, and future in the drifting sand.

“The Drifters can travel through space in the blink of an eye, appearing somewhere else without ever seeming to move. I’m a Drifter. Well, I should be a Drifter, but until I came here today, I’ve never been able to go anywhere at all.” She gives a swift shrug, as though it is not important that she lacks in magic, but the effort is belied by the way she looks out at the forest around them and blinks rapidly.

Nizhonii had not meant to admit that much, but she has always been prone to chattering. Things tend to slip out when she does, and this has been no exception.

@Lautner

Messages In This Thread
    every lesson forms a new scar - by Nizhonii - 01-06-2024, 05:32 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Lautner - 01-08-2024, 01:00 AM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Nizhonii - 01-15-2024, 09:09 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Lautner - 01-21-2024, 11:00 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Nizhonii - 01-27-2024, 06:44 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Lautner - 02-11-2024, 04:09 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Nizhonii - 03-02-2024, 09:33 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Lautner - 03-27-2024, 11:07 PM
    RE: every lesson forms a new scar - by Nizhonii - 03-31-2024, 12:47 PM