• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  when the sky falls down
    yes i know that love is like ghosts,
    few have seen it but everybody talks —

He confirms what her parents had alway said about the nature of the Gates, and something about his choice of words — pure-hearted — makes her own heart twinge in a longing kind of sadness. She did not doubt that her parents fit such a descriptor, but she could never see herself in such a light. She was not cruel or unkind, but she does think herself selfish. She lets herself sink beneath the waves of her own sorrow, lets the voices of the spirits drown out her own thoughts, until all she knows is the desperate desire for quiet. It drives her every move, consumes her every thought, and she knows that nearly every interaction she has is half-hearted and distracted.

She is trying right now, though. Her dark brown eyes are staring at his face maybe a bit too intensely, focusing on his mouth and the words that come from them, willing herself to focus on what he says and not what her mind whispers.

“The lands that I grew up with did not have any kind of allegiance labeled to them, either,” she says in response, a kind of agreement. “I suppose some tended to attract the darker sorts, though.” Pangea comes to mind first, but there were others that had taken turns testing the boundaries of aggression, like Loess and its dragons.

But Narya had never been a part of any of that.
    Her mother had raised her in the meadowlands, and the politics of the kingdoms and its lands were only things she had observed on the outside.

He asks her of the things that have happened recently, and she hesitates, unsure where to begin. “There has been a lot of unrest in recent years. There are two lands that were discovered, called Baltia and Stratos, but they’re not…they’re not from Beqanna. Somehow our universes seem to have collided.” It was all so complicated, and she did not know where to begin, or what he might already know. She had been a part of the group that mended to rift between the sky and sea kingdoms, but it, and the aftermath, still felt like a fever dream. “There have been so many storms and earthquakes, and many of the lands that I knew are now gone, but some of the old ones have returned in their place.”

For her, turmoil and drastic change is all that she has ever known, and so she asks him, “has Beqanna always been like this? Just…changing all of the time?”
    Narya
    — spirits follow everywhere i go,
    they sing all day and they haunt me in the night

@ Everclear

Messages In This Thread
    when the sky falls down - by Everclear - 01-14-2024, 02:19 PM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Narya - 01-16-2024, 12:13 AM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Everclear - 01-16-2024, 05:42 PM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Narya - 01-27-2024, 12:06 AM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Everclear - 01-28-2024, 01:47 PM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Narya - 02-11-2024, 03:05 PM
    RE: when the sky falls down - by Everclear - 03-16-2024, 09:29 PM