• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the wicked shall receive their reward; Mast/any

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

Magnus is not quite sure how to answer the boy’s question.

It seemed simple enough. Why would his father’s home destroy his son’s home? But that dove into a tangle web of familial ties that Magnus was not quite ready to touch. He wasn’t ready to confront his father’s fickle affection, of which there was little. He wasn’t ready to confront the fact that his father cared more for the land than his own flesh and blood—that he was more interested in seeing the Chamber thrive than his own kin survive. Of course, the panther-stallion had plenty of offspring to fill in the gaps should Magnus die again. Atrox was not lacking for heirs. Magnus knew it was only Atrox’s once great love for his mother that made him even remotely interested in Magnus and his siblings. That was all.

So he just gave a small frown, “My father is a complicated man.”
    Cruel. Tunnel-visioned. Powerful when he chose to be. Complicated.

Then the conversation turns to the concept of needing magic on their side and Magnus feels his skin crawl with the notion. He knew that it wasn’t a bad idea—in fact, it was probably a necessary one—but he hated having to rely on the supernatural to get the job done right. He was born just a stallion with an arsenal of tools that were him and him alone. He had no extraordinary gifts and, over time, he had determined that he didn’t need them. He liked the idea of being a simple man living a simple life. Perhaps his life would not be simple, but that didn’t mean he needed to complicate it more with magic he didn’t understand.

Of course, his son would be powerful some day—but Magnus knew that Ledger was barely holding onto control. He couldn’t be a weapon if he couldn’t master the ability to shift; he would just be a liability. And while the General in Magnus wanted to yield Ledger’s strength, the father in him wanted to protect his kind-hearted son from being used like some tool. They could win this war without forcing Ledger to morph into a beast he couldn’t control yet; they could protect themselves without traumatizing him more.

His golden head turns toward the King who approaches them, and he dips it in recognition. He had not yet told them of his past here, had not said that he had led their army and governed their kingdom before, but the information seemed superfluous. Magnus’ time as King was lifetimes ago. His name, and the names of Joelle and Liefde, had been lost to the winds of time. There was little weight in rehashing his past. 

“It is a pleasure, Mast.” He pauses, his voice husky and smoky in his throat, “After I visit the Chamber and deliver the message to Fiasko, I can travel to the Amazons, depending on our standing with them. I was born there and while my ties to their kingdom may be forgotten, I understand their ways. Perhaps I will be successful in finding a powerful alliance there. The warrior women are a force to be reckoned with.”

Magnus had been a prince in the Amazons as a youth, a father and an uncle to Khaleesi. His roots there ran deep and in his blood, he would always consider it the home of his heart. Perhaps there would be Amazonian woman who would recognize his ties—perhaps not, but he would at least need to try.

“The ability to spy well is not one to be undervalued,” he said in response to the King’s shifting. “We may find in time that it is something that gets us out of a tough spot.” And, still, their gathering grows, the testosterone rising in each of them as their blood ran hot with the need for justice. “Welcome, Gaza,” his gold-flecked eyes meet the new stallion and hold his gaze for a moment, evaluating the stranger with the intensity of someone who did not trust easily but wanted to. “We could use all of the good men and women that we can get. I am sure that your assistance would be appreciated.” Then, finally, he looks to the rest of them. “Is there anything else to figure out? If not, daylight is fading and we have much to do.”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: the wicked shall receive their reward; Mast/any - by magnus - 10-11-2015, 09:32 PM