• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

. : a new start; a new chance : .
    Jacque watched as the mare, which he assumed was Akos’ mother, shepherded the young colt out of the water and onto the bank, keeping him close to her side. The mare was built like a tank; with a strong back and solid legs, he mused that he wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of her. He realised, with a shrug, that he may have already crossed that line, but he hoped not, as he didn’t want to go around making enemies, only friends and acquaintances. His one remaining eye focussed on the two of them, realising that what he had been most devoid of, in his years of solitude, was affection. He felt a pang from his chest at the memories of what could have been, all those years ago when all was right with the world, before his life was turned upside down.

He felt himself drifting away from the present, so dragged himself back so that he could address the mare, just in time to receive her welcome, and her apology on behalf of her son. He was about to speak, when she turned away, so he waited for her to address him again. When her attention returned, once more, to him, he found that she had another question, so he waited for her, before beginning his speech.

‘Yes ma’am, I am Jacque.’ He bowed his head to the ground as a gesture of respect to her and her son before continuing. ‘Oh, no need to worry about your son; he was on his best behaviour. You have a very polite young colt there, very charming.’ Again, he nodded to her, as he was used to doing after addressing someone of higher status than him. He had no idea of what to reply to her question, although he was saved by her politeness in begging her pardon for staring. ‘Ma’am, it is no problem at all, I find that many are drawn to stare and I find myself quite able to receive their stares in good heart. In fact, I was just worrying a few moments ago that I had caused endless questions about my scar to pop up in young Akos’ mind that would plague his poor mother for seasons to come, so for that, I sincerely apologise, ma’am.’

He felt his head drawn back to her previous question, although he had not yet conjured an answer, so he felt obliged to reveal the truth. ‘I come to this land seeking a residence, where I can rest legs weary from travelling and restock my dwindling supply of wild herbs, and where I can stay for an undetermined period. In return, I can offer my services as a herbalist to you and your herd.’ Jacque dipped his head, and then realised he had not been introduced to the mare, only her inquisitive son. ‘Pray, by what name may I address you, ma’am?’ He asked, noticing for the first time her piercing green eyes to contrast her son’s mismatching brown and blue.

Messages In This Thread
    . : a new start; a new chance : . - by sandcastles - 08-02-2015, 02:56 PM
    RE: . : a new start; a new chance : . - by Akos - 08-02-2015, 03:14 PM
    RE: . : a new start; a new chance : . - by Jacque - 08-03-2015, 05:01 AM
    RE: . : a new start; a new chance : . - by Eld - 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM
    RE: . : a new start; a new chance : . - by Jacque - 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM
    RE: . : a new start; a new chance : . - by Eld - 08-05-2015, 01:57 PM