• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  i pretend i'm burning bright; romek, any
    i pretend to close my eyes;
    i pretend i'm burning bright.
    Okay, so I decided to find somebody to stick to, right? But turns out that is a little more complicated than you might think. The forest I’m wandering through isn’t exactly drowning in conveniently placed moms with extra milk and slow feet. Sadly. I’ve kind of given up just a little bit, maybe just for a few minutes at least, and am about to curl up in a ball and sleep under one of the trees when someone makes noise nearby.

Startled, I jump, my coat shedding sparks as I jolt to attention. Oh, oops! I stomp on a few that catch into tiny little flames on the ground, putting out the baby fires before they grow up to be biiiig fires. And then I peek up at the stranger who actually talked to me, nervous and unsure. I bite my lip and nod, because I guess I am alright. I’m not dead, or starving (yet), or hurt much, aside from my knee and my cheek which isn’t so bad really, so I guess I’m alright.

I’m opening my mouth to say so when somebody else talks, and I jump again. This time at least the sparks cling to my skin and don’t try to burn the world down, so maybe that’s progress? They’re even sort of nice, cozy and warm and lovely ‘til they fade back into nothing and I immediately miss the contact.

Well but not for long. Because before I can even answer, the new stranger who is much bigger than the first stranger is licking me. I tense up, because being touched is new and unexpected but oh, it is nice, and in a minute or two I’m all warm and gooey inside, and my face is doing this weird thing where my lips curve upward, I don’t even know. But I like it.

Oh and it feels good to be clean and not sticky and crusty and gross. And I’m fluffy underneath all the yuck, a sort of mousy blackish fluff that is soft when I touch it with my nose, instead of spiky and awful.

When the big person stops for a minute to sniff the slightly less big person, I step closer, carefully, quietly, and just nestle up against him. But I’m ready to jump away at the first sign he doesn’t want me to, it’s just he’s nice and it seems like it would feel good to be close. “...call ourselves?” Um. I tilt my head, peering up at his chin. Romek’s chin, he’s Romek. “I...mostly just call myself I. Um. Nnnobody’s ever called me anything.”

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i pretend i'm burning bright; romek, any - by Lilitha - 08-02-2016, 02:42 PM