• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

so the darkness I became; gunsynd

I was in the darkness; so the darkness I became.

While the weight of the children had left her body, the weight of the Valley had not. It consumed her every waking thought, filtered its way into the corners of her dreams. She would rebuild them or die trying; she owed the kingdom that. They had all thought her weak and unworthy, but the Valley was her heart and soul. There was something about the shadows that spoke to her, something in the mist that echoed the song in her heart. The Gates were lovely, to be sure, but they were so stereotypical. Sunshine and greenery, all things good and light. She was neither good nor light, but fell on the spectrum somewhere in between. She toed the line between what was good and what was bad, but more often than not she slipped over to the other side.

There was more darkness within her heart than her parents could have ever predicted.

As the sun rose over the horizon, so too did her children. One by one they staggered up on too-long legs, demanding their breakfast in a way only children could do. Topsail scowled at them but quickly relented, allowing them each a turn to nurse as she gazed off into the distance. They would have to eat quickly; she had other business to attend to. A new face had made an appearance just at the beginnings of her labor, and she had been forced to excuse herself from the meeting without having her say. With the children out of her womb, she was in a much better temper and thus, more prepared to answer his questions. They were legitimate in nature, and Topsail couldn’t blame him for wanting answers; it was just his misfortune that he found her in a very disagreeable state. So when the children finished their breakfast, she gave them a nudge of her muzzle. “Stay put” she murmured, knowing full well they wouldn’t listen but making an effort at parenting all the same.

Opening her mind, she found him easily enough. Sliding up beside him, she offered him a small smile. “Fancy meeting you here.” she said, an attempt at innocence. In truth, others current whereabouts were often on their minds, leaving traces to be picked through. “You’ll have to forgive our first meeting. I was in a bit of an…urgent, situation.” Though she did not elaborate, the bulk gone from her middle should be explanation enough. She was now back to her former sleek self, though perhaps a little more tired than usual. “So please, any questions you may have…feel free. But know this; the Valley and her inhabitants are my first and foremost concern.” she said, a steely glint to her eyes. More than once she had been viewed in an unfavorable light, and always she had risen far up and above it. This time, this stallion, would be no different.

Topsail

Queen of the Valley

Messages In This Thread
    so the darkness I became; gunsynd - by Topsail - 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM