• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

my feet will never touch the ground [all kingdom]
    fiasko
    A huge crooked smile crosses her face when Kaelie joins the meeting. It’s been some time since she last spoke with her adoptive mother, and she’s been missing her presence. Unfortunately, now is not really the time for catch ups - she will have to track down Kaelie later. At the moment however, there are far more pressing concerns.

Kaelie mentions her support for keeping the monarchy, and Fiasko nods in agreement. Though she has not lived through a council, she does not think that the Gates should take a chance on a system of government that has proven to be weak in the past (and she has no reason to question Jason’s judgement on that point). The Gates has been weak enough on its own lately, without them putting its activity into more danger.

Another familiar scent reachers her nose, and she turns, glad to see that Mast has joined their gathering. She doesn’t know the grey stallion well, having only spoken to him in person once, but he is another adoptive child of Kaelie and Finnley, and she considers him family.

She is surprised however when he steps forward to offer himself as king. Her eyes widen, and she finds herself suddenly unsure of what to say. She feels she shouldn’t be entirely surprised though - he might not be of their blood, but he is still a child of Kaelie and Finnley after all. And this way at least, they are one monarch down. But Kaelie had suggested two, and Fiasko thinks she’s right. The throne had been too much for Camelia on her own - perhaps it would be an easier burden if two horses were to share it.

Jason speaks up again and her eye turns to look at him, knowing that what he has to say will likely be of import. She’s completely unprepared however for the words that do come out of his mouth. “Wha …?” She couldn’t be queen. She’s too inexperienced, too ugly (what foreign diplomat would look upon her face with favour?), too unpractised. She wouldn’t do a good job. Or would she …

She pauses for a moment.

Could she do this? She’s a hard worker, when she doesn’t let her fear get the best of her. And she wants the best for the Gates. She could try … she could repay Finnley and Kaelie for all that they’ve done for her …

No, she couldn’t. She would do a horrible job.

But wait, if she did a horrible job, what’s the worst that could really happen? The Gates would only be in the same position it is now …

The idea takes hold, fast and strong, in a way that doesn’t make any sense to her. It feels like … a possibility. Like she could do this. And somewhere, deep inside, she finds a feeling that she had not expected at all. She wants this. She wants to try.

“I …” She straightens, pulling herself up to her full height. A strange calm comes over her. “I would be honoured, if you would have me.” It’s strange to hear the words, even though they are coming out of her own mouth. “I may be inexperienced, but I will do my utmost to help this kingdom.” And then she falls silent. It’s up to them now. Will they take a chance on her?

i'm still waiting for the world to end

Messages In This Thread
    RE: my feet will never touch the ground [all kingdom] - by Fiasko - 05-22-2015, 10:34 PM