• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Now or Never

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

TI am somewhat surprised when the other stallion answers me; I had half-expected him to just ignore me like he had for the rest of the conversation that Naira and I had been having. His response doesn’t make much sense though – why does he need to employ tact rather than simply approach? It hadn’t been at all tactical to wake up Naira and then proceed to ignore her, but to each his own I suppose. The pinto comes a bit closer, jumping at the emergence of a brown hare, but begins to lay down again rather than talk. With a mild shrug, I turn back to the pretty mare as she begins to speak.

She says that she is not built to be a fighter, and I wonder again what the scars are from. Perhaps I’ll earn in time, if she is willing to share the story. From personal experience I know better than to pressure someone into being a warrior when it is not their desire. I am in the Army to make my parents proud, after all; I lack the bloodlust that drives my twin brother. At the mention of her being hot-headed I cannot help but smile. She does not strike me as the fiery type, but I am somehow pleased that she is willing to admit to a more passionate nature. I have never understood those creatures that care for little but themselves, and the depth that Naira shows by admitting this makes me even more certain that she will be a good fit wherever it is that she decides to go.

And she decides both, at least to look over, and I nod happily. She will like them both, I’m sure; they are both wonderful places. And even if she chooses to stay in the Desert, I will still see her often, as my duties require.

As the other stallion canters past us, I can see that he is putting Naira on edge. With a low snort, I take a step between them even as she steps toward me. I am not threatened by the other stallion, but I do not like seeing Naira ill at ease and am more than willing to do what it takes to calm her. She gathers her own courage and approaches him where he lays on the ground, and though I instinctively want to follow closely, I stand my ground and let her go. My tail switches irritably at my hind legs despite my still posture, the only sign that I am somewhat displeased at her nearness to this rather puzzling stranger. She asks him to say what he wants, and he stands up and comes closer, clearly ready to answer Naira’s question.

I take a single step to the side, pressing my red and white shoulder against her golden one, my dark eyes hesitant. He talks for a rather long time, about being a loner and being abandoned by his herd, speaking with spirits and running through the Desert. I’m about to reply when he sudden turns tail and trots (then canters) away and begins to graze. I am utterly bewildered by his nonsensical behavior, but it is not within my nature to be cruel.

“You might be less lonely if you talked to others rather than running around and grazing all the time.” Though he’s a fair distance away I hope he can hear me, but I don’t wait to see before I look back at Naira. “If you’d like, I could show you the Desert? This late in the day” - the sun is just starting to descend in the west - “the heat is more bearable in the Desert, and we can rest for the night in Orange Country?”

Messages In This Thread
    Now or Never - by Naira - 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Aziz - 05-26-2015, 02:26 AM
    RE: Now or Never - by Kreios - 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Aziz - 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Naira - 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Kreios - 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Aziz - 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Naira - 05-26-2015, 08:50 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Kreios - 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Naira - 05-26-2015, 10:37 PM
    RE: Now or Never - by Aziz - 05-27-2015, 01:13 AM