• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

with shortness of breath, i'll explain the infinite; stillwater
    Stillwater
    She froze as soon as she saw him, locked in place almost in instinct, her little gaze furtively scanning every feature of his perfect face. Startled by his unnatural beauty, perhaps. His smiled widened just a little, his eyes brightening with interest. Even children were not immune to him, nor other men, nor the chaste or elderly. They couldn't help it. It was the nature of his beast. And he loved to watch it settle over them, sometimes a flicker of confusion before a helpless smile was returned to him. At ease in his presence. Trusting.

Except this one.
    Still distrusting. Uncertain. Wary.

He crooned to her softly, coaxing her further into his sweet web with the patience of a true predator. Her expression softened just the slightest, but she still trembled with concern for herself. Lose your mum, did you, he tried gently, receiving an instant "No." He waited it out, watching her little face lower, those little brows pulling together as she worked things out for herself. Then she lifted to him again, her voice soft and quiet as she changed her answer. "Yes. But I don't want to find her."

He frowned in perfect worry, not even wondering why a child wouldn't want her mother while he delighted in her answer. There's a good girl, he encouraged quietly, ignoring the part that may be a cause of hurt for her. Doesn't feel so good to lie, does it? That's alright. I'll never lie to you either, he promised easily. Just about the only promise he could make to anyone, really.

I can keep you safe, he promised next. She watched him with more uncertainty and he remained calm and caring under her young scrutiny. "You won't hurt me?" she asked, barely a whisper. He tilted his head just slightly, curious but sensing another question and waiting for it. "I can trust you?"  His smile grew again, and he waited just a few moments longer as her eyes went distant and thoughtful, considering something before she refocused on him again.

"Mama called me Gleam."

Did she, now? Well, hello Gleam. I'm Stillwater. He paused and edged just a little closer, masking it behind shifting his weight as though he were trying to get comfortable. I know it can't be easy to trust a stranger, hm? Well, I never break my promises, he said a little firmly, looking directly into those glorious, galaxy eyes so she knew he meant it. He couldn't break them even if he wanted to, but he'd never admit that. Could she trust him? I will never lie to you, he repeated for her with a solemn nod. He couldn't. Even if he wanted to.

He waited through a long pause, letting it all sink in as he glanced over her body again. That blanket of stars was attractive. Luster could probably do the same if she wanted to. Although, he should really stop letting her sneak back into his thoughts. That was annoying. And irritating. How much could her little shield take, though? Could he puncture through it if he had to? Probably best not to require it. That only meant this might take a little longer, but he was patient. She'd be worth it.

His gaze returned to her beautiful little face. Are you tired, or cold? We can go to my home if you like. It's quieter there, just a soft trickle of water. It's a cave though, so I hope you're not afraid of the dark. But it's not quite out in the open, he added with a glance around them, into this deep night where you could hardly see a distance before you at all unless the moon broke through the trees in some places.

You are too young to be on your own just yet, you know. I bet you're hungry even now. He didn't really know, only guessed as much. Children this little seemed to require feeding fairly often until they got a bit bigger. You can stay the night with me. I'll keep you safe tonight, and if you decide you like it well enough there, you can live there with me. And I could take care of you. What do you say? He waited patiently, soft and concerned and ready to guide her home if she would allow him.

Or we can stay here for the night if that's more comfortable for you, but I'll need to stay too to make sure you stay safe. Matter-of-fact, as if it were the most obvious thing.
    come down to the black sea swimming with me
    go down with me, fall with me, lets make it worth it

Messages In This Thread
    RE: with shortness of breath, i'll explain the infinite; stillwater - by Stillwater - 06-11-2017, 12:00 AM