• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    CHAPTER TWO: the journey ahead [round two]
    Welcome to all who have entered - no eliminations this round.

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alegreya+SC" rel="stylesheet"><center><style> .underneathborder {background-color: #173c42; width: 600px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000;} .underneathcontainer {background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/s6eyUKN.png'); width: 590px; height: 369px;transition: 1s;transition-timing-function: linear;} .underneathbackground {background-color: #000; width: 590px;border-radius: 200px 200px 0px 0px;} #underneathmessage {width: 550px; padding: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px; text-align: justify; line-height: 12pt; font-size: 12px;margin-bottom: 20px; color: #a9b0a6;opacity: .95;} #underneathquote {margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 15px; font-family: 'Alegreya SC', serif; text-transform:uppercase; font-size: 14px; color: #7c928e;background-color: #173c42; line-height: 10pt; text-shadow: -1px 1px 10px #000, 1px 1px 5px #000;transition: 1s;} #underneathquote:hover {color: #000;background-color: #587f7f; letter-spacing: 10px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000; text-shadow: 0 0 5px #000;}</style><div class="underneathborder"><div class="underneathbackground"><div class="underneathcontainer"></div><div id="underneathquote">The Underneath: The Forest</div><div id="underneathmessage">You enter the forest.

Fearless one, aren't you?

Or perhaps foolish.

Very, very foolish.
    Only time would tell.

The darkness is encroaching - suffocating, stifling - until it is enveloping you, shrouding you in a drapery of nothingness and stealing all but one part of your advanced vision (<i>you are left with nothing else but infrared vision, stolen away by the forest boundary</i>). If it seemed dark before, surely this must be the abyss itself. It is reminiscent of the many times you had blearily opened your eyes after a leisurely afternoon slumber, only to wake and find yourself surrounded by the shadow of night, and the disorienting visual adjustment that inevitably followed.

There is a faint outline of trees ahead, but it is as if there had never been a sun in the sky - as if there had never been in a moon in its wake. There is movement up ahead, towards the left - a shifting, wavering figure, stark and bright - a beacon of light? But no, it <i>moves</i> - and its chest, or what would be, is heaving, panting heavily with the thickness of the atmosphere. It is alive, <i>breathing</i>!

Its deep and vivid yellow silhouette carries a crimson, beating heart in its center, blending into the darkness of the auburn of its own heat signature. It is a shapeless form, and twisting and turning, and its growl echoes through the seemingly still air, before it has disappeared altogether. Dissipated, in front of your very own eyes. 

The foliage is dense, and it is all too easy to disappear into it, weaving through the many old and brittle pines towering overhead - but behind you, there is soon the footfall of another. 

<i>It has found you again.</i>

The warmth of its breath is hot on your neck; the heat of its body lingering too close to your own. Another snarl, and its saliva is dribbling down across your hipbone -

Do you turn and fight, or do you flee?
    </div></div></div></center>
    • You have entered the Forest, and thus, Taiga.
    • The forest has taken any and all ability to see in the darkness (temporarily - round two and three only).
    • Any living creature your character comes across can only be seen in infrared vision, as <a href="http://i.imgur.com/w10q6rE.jpg">seen here</a>.
    • The creature your character has come across can be <b>any natural or mythological creature</b> you can think of.
    • You can fight, or you can flee. 
    • End your post at the conclusion of your valiant fight or cunning escape.

<center><style> .underneathmountainborder {background-color: #173c42; width: 600px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000;} .underneathmountaincontainer {background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/DuZBLrL.png'); width: 590px; height: 369px;transition: 1s;transition-timing-function: linear;} .underneathmountainbackground {background-color: #000; width: 590px;border-radius: 200px 200px 0px 0px;} #underneathmountainmessage {width: 550px; padding: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px; text-align: justify; line-height: 12pt; font-size: 12px;margin-bottom: 20px; color: #a9b0a6;opacity: .95;} #underneathmountainquote {margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 15px; font-family: 'Alegreya SC', serif; text-transform:uppercase; font-size: 14px; color: #7c928e;background-color: #173c42; line-height: 10pt; text-shadow: -1px 1px 10px #000, 1px 1px 5px #000;transition: 1s;} #underneathmountainquote:hover {color: #000;background-color: #587f7f; letter-spacing: 10px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000; text-shadow: 0 0 5px #000;}</style><div class="underneathmountainborder"><div class="underneathmountainbackground"><div class="underneathmountaincontainer"></div><div id="underneathmountainquote">The Underneath: The Mountain</div><div id="underneathmountainmessage">You have approached the treacherous mountain, and suddenly it is as if the thickest part of the darkness has dissipated.

There is some semblance of light in the clearing, though with no discernible source, it is an eerie sort of illumination. To the west of the mountain lay the ravenous black sea, churning and swallowing itself with each rhythmic, pounding wave - and to the east is from whence you came, and there is nothing left for you there. The echo of the howl that had spurned you to move has faded in oblivion, and you are again alone - deeply, undeniably alone, with nothing but the crest of the dark and sinister mountain before you to keep you company.

An ominous storm is surrounding its peak, with dark and heavy clouds reaching towards the sky - stirring and roiling around its base and ascending to its sharpened peak. It crackles with electricity, and gentle bursts of light brighten it. There is something menacing about the dark clouds, but there is a bright, glowing light that can be seen shining within its depths - an orb that is calling to you, beckoning you forward with promise of an answer you seek.

<i>Why are you here?</i>

You could resist its allure, and journey <i>around</i> the base of the mountain and onward to the river to the north on a dangerous, unsteady rock-laden pathway, or you can venture into the clouds and seek the glimmering light, and attempt going over the mountain.

Which will you choose?
    </div></div></div></center>
    • You have approached the Mountain.
    • There is a storm at its base with a glowing, levitating orb in its center - and there is a thin, rock-lined path to the right that goes around the Mountain and next to the darkness of the Forest.
    • Will your character brave the clouds and seek out the glimmering light, or will they avoid the storm and take the path towards the River?
    • End the post with your character either reaching the mountain peak or traveling around its base.

You have until 11:59pm PST on July 16th to reply.

Messages In This Thread
    CHAPTER TWO: the journey ahead [round two] - by The Underneath - 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM