• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

a light from the shadows will spring; crevan
    Merida
    from the ashes, a fire shall be awoken
    She senses the overwhelming darkness that flows and ebbs throughout the tall trees of Sylva, and though her attention fully rests on the behemoth of a beast before her, the instincts of her fox will not let her simply evade or ignore the feeling of disquiet that hovers around them. Instead, she keeps her brilliant red gaze locked on Crevan, not allowing her energy to dwindle - she is excited to be here with him, even in this unfamiliar land that would cause the thick fur on her nape to bristle if she would allow it. The landscape is completely different from what she has become accustomed to in Loess, but the unknown adds adrenaline to her blood, and finding a true sense of safety is a concern far from the agile fox. Besides, they were predators - what does she have to fear within the billowing darkness of the forest?

His reply broadens the snarl that already so fittingly adorns the black lines of her lips, and it deepens as his teasing intensifies. A scavenger? Impossible! He bumps his large head with hers, a dwarfed and graceful silhouette against the the one of the giant wolf. As he draws away, she snaps at the space beneath his neck, purposely missing as her jaws clack together in warning beneath his throat (she would never attempt to hurt him - his brute strength would kill her in an instant, if he’d like). “I’m not sure that fact paints wolves in a very pleasant light,” she calls after him as he begins to trot forward, a grin replacing the snarling and sparkling white of her tiny teeth, “if you so easily allow us to keep stealing from you.” But he’s already dashing away further into the darkening and deepening forest, and with a tiny and frustrated bark, she bounds after him.

He begins his ascent upwards on the boulder and she slows only momentarily, sizing up the rock as her flame-colored eyes quickly find tiny points to begin her climb. Lightly and with all the poignant grace of the tiny animal she is, her dark paws alight on ascending nooks and crannies, until she has joined him on the smooth surface of the very top. She curls her thick tail around her haunches as she sits, elegant as her thin nose lifts upward and sniffs quickly and deliberately, tasting the Sylvan air on her tongue. Merida pleasantly thumps her tail a few times against her paws and glances towards him through the corner of her eyesight, coal-like eyes burning even in the pitch of night. “I bet you think twice before sinking your teeth into them now,” she says pointedly, brows rising with amusement. “You’d rue the day your jaws clamp down on me.” The fox laughs, tossing her head with a quick motion that follows down to her spine, her fur fluffing and then falling as she did so.

A black-tipped ear flicks towards him; his last thought almost confusing her. She turns her head to Crevan, tilting it slightly a few degrees. She watches him thoughtfully, pressing her lips together firmly as she searches her mind for the reason. “I didn’t know if I’d be able to find you on my own,” she admits pensively, her voice clipped - she did not like admitting she couldn’t do something, or that she might have been afraid to. “The fox, though still new to me now, was even more unfamiliar then - I didn’t trust myself like I do now.” A pause, a shift in her weight and a shuffling of paws, her eyes now staring out at the starlit sky stretching before her. “And then my daughter returned, which - ” she stops suddenly, a slight twitch finding her tail as well as her lips, for a moment her heart wrenching for Kuma - she had always been a wayward and absent mother, but the two had reunited and besides her wolf friend, her daughter is perhaps the only other one who can tolerate Merida.

“- surprised me.” She finishes with finality, a deep exhale leaving her small chest. Merida lifts a black paw upwards and gently brushes at an itch on her long snout, contemplating his choice of words. Your own kind.

For some reason she feels like she has displeased him, and a tiny frown pulls at her mouth.  “Who is my kind, Crevan?” Merida asks him genuinely, despite the obvious distaste he has for her even admitting she had somehow been tied to Loess. She has always been better on her own (this is a fact that still rings true as her fox-self becomes more skilled and mature), but for a fleeting moment as she watches the dark wolf beside her, she longs for more. The pack mentality, though it runs deep in a wolf’s blood, is not the case for a fox - but something stirs within her, perhaps the equine, longs for a sense of complacency and meaning, or at least a loyalty that she has not yet found, especially in Loess.

Her eyes narrow as she studies him curiously.

What is it I’m searching for?

@[Crevan]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: a light from the shadows will spring; crevan - by Merida - 11-25-2017, 06:58 PM