• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  My Brother's Keeper
    Bragi moved slowly through the woods, looking behind himself every few steps. They had traveled hard over the last few moons, moving with as much speed as they could muster given... well, given reasons. Tired, he sighed as he noticed the brilliant tinge of pink that was beginning to paint the cold sky. They had been traveling primarily at night, and right about now was when he usually began looking for a secure place to rest. A break in the skeletal treeline revealed a wide open field, deadened grasses and withered leaves creating a dreary landscape. He paused to observe these new surroundings, curious as to where their wanderings had brought them. A moment later he yelped as the half-grown grey colt who was following him walked straight into his rump.

He spun around, taking in the newly ground-ridden form of his kid brother. Hod disentangled himself and shakily rose from the chill forest floor. He shook out his short mane, almost losing his footing again. Bragi leaned forward, resting his nose against the colt's rust-dappled shoulder.

"Sorry, I should have said something. Are you alright?" He asked after a moment. Hod lifted his head, trying to erase his recent embarrassment. "Yes, I'm fine. Why'd you stop though?" He replied, making an attempt to change the subject from himself. Bragi turned back to the treeline, the rising sun giving a rose tint to his golden pelt. He paused a moment to admire the effect. That would make an excellent ode, something about 'the Sun giving birth to he each new day, the one wrought of rose-gold and light'... A bump on his neck from Hod reminded him to answer his brother's question. "Oh... yes, I think we've come to a good place to rest for the day. It looks safe, lots of trees surrounding a grassy field. There are a few other horses around, but they're further away. We haven't been spotted yet. We're still in the trees. But the sun is coming up, and I know you're getting tired." He described things out of habit now. The ever-growing light illuminated the scene, drawing rosy stars in his brother's foggy blue unfocused eyes.

Hod did not disagree with the tired statement. The seemingly endless days of walking and stopping, marked only by vague brightening and darkening, some shadowed shapes... he was tired. and not just from the last night, he was tired of moving constantly. Bragi did his best, but there was only so comfortable he could be with the constant location changes. He sighed, ears swiveling constantly, taking in the sounds of this latest place. The smells of tree and earth and horse and rodent all permeated the air. The familiar brother-scent, what had kept him safe since birth, and was never far away. Bragi was his only constant, his only friend. He trusted him implicitly.
    "Yes. That sounds fine. Let's get some rest. And food, I'm hungry." He touched his nose to Bragi's hip, waiting for him to give direction and start moving.

They worked their way to the edge of the field, finally dropping their heads to the tasteless grass. Bragi lifted his head every few bites, scanning the area. He could see Hod's ears flicking back and forth, observing as only he could. It was a brisk morning, but the early sun felt good on their backs. Thawed some of the chill from their limbs, melting frost from their manes. They grazed in companionable silence, dozing together. Always together.

Messages In This Thread
    My Brother's Keeper - by Bragi - 11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Nyxa - 11-04-2017, 03:19 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Bragi - 11-04-2017, 04:32 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Nyxa - 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Bragi - 11-08-2017, 09:45 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Nyxa - 11-11-2017, 04:45 PM
    RE: My Brother's Keeper - by Bragi - 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM