• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Unbound, unkempt, uncertain [Anyone]
    Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    Her panic at my approach both endears me to her and causes me my own fear. My hooves shuffle beneath the surface of the river, my attempt at expending the nervous energy that is threatening to overflow the barriers I have made for it. Where there is fear, there is danger - but this gaunt, wandering mare is far from danger, and besides, the child I was before wouldn't have even been frightened by the most intimidating of horses. I resent myself for changing.

The sun has begun to kiss our ears and shoulder blades, its warm embrace almost foreign to me now. I blink, the three subtle leopard spots below my right eye distorting with the movement. The sensation jogs my memory, and events from days past seem almost as if they were yesterday. The Jungle floor with Kavi watching me explore; the Chamber's rocky landscape daring me higher and higher along its ridges. A jolt of heartache causes my windpipe to close, and for a moment, I am lost completely to the situation I am presently in.

Her words bring me back.

My nutmeg eyes catch the last of her fleeting smile, and my ears perk up to accept her conversation. She deadpans that we ought to talk about the weather, and the smile I had tried on before returns more earnestly. Though softly spoken, the tawny mare has more resilience than she gives herself credit for, and I appreciate that. My composure loosens, the tense, hungry muscles relaxing around my bones.

"No clouds today," I reply, though my voice is more light and humorous than hers. The ways of my past are slowly returning to me. "Good day for... Sunbathing." At this, I try my best to keep a straight face, but I let another smile widen my visage. The awkward tension between the two of us is tangible and lovely, a sort of introverted peacocking that left us both looking like fools, or at least, I'm sure that I look the fool. But I don't mind. Despite our evident lack of conversational skills, the mare puts me at ease with her soft words and fleeting smiles.

She introduces herself then, and speaks with the same cadence as I have, pronouncing herself lost. A pang of empathy runs through me - perhaps amplified, felt more, thanks to my namesake's genetic empathy. Kagerou, grandmother. I never met her; but I know she was brave, that she ruled the land of amazonian warrior women, that she led charges in wars and defended the needy. The recollection of the mare (who looked so much like me, though I've only been told so) steels my spine, and I step out of the river on the opposite bank of the one which I entered from.

"I am going to call you Sig, if you don't mind. Our meeting was very significant to me." Some semblance of my former stoicism and courage has returned to me, as I stand there, looking behind myself at the lost woman. "Follow me, and we'll go out into the open, where we will feel less lost. While we walk, you can tell me about yourself."

And so, we walk.
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Unbound, unkempt, uncertain [Anyone] - by Kagerus - 12-01-2017, 01:28 PM