• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and I'll shiver like I used to
    The sweet scent of freshly-harvested hay clings to her still sweaty skin. Mud is thick in her hooves. Her muscles sigh with relief as the man releases her from her equipment she has used during harvesting. The light from the lantern is dim and flicks haphazardly on the walls of the barn as he puts away her tack. She seizes the opportunity to grab a quick drink of her water before he returns. She can see the weariness in his eyes and she knows his dinner and his family are waiting for him inside, but still he takes the time to gently clean the mud from her feet and to brush out her coat. She stands patiently and quietly, giving his hat a little tussle as he is about to leave. He smiles and pats her neck before gathering the lantern and shutting the door to the barn. The light now gone, she quickly nods off to sleep feeling heavy and accomplished.

The mare's words shock her back to consciousness and she blinks several times in confusion before the strange events of yesterday come back to her. Her mind works hard to both process her new reality and listen to and comprehend the speech directed at her. The woman confirms her bedraggled appearance, much to Raewen's unease. She did not wish to appear weak or lost (though she was indeed both) in such a strange land. But the mare seems kind, so she lets her guard down, if only a little.

She straightens up as much as her exhausted body will allow her (she does have manners after all) and tries to bring some levity back to her expression. It was kind of someone to approach her, looking disheveled and downtrodden as she did. "Yes... I suppose I have" A small smile stretches her freckled face but it does not quite reach her eyes. Homesickness floods over her at every breath and this strange land with all of its newness tires her even further. But what could she do? How could she possibly get home from here? She eyes the grey mare curiously, wondering how much of a long shot it would be to ask her for help. Her eyes are kind, and she had reached out to her despite her unkempt appearance... She gives a small sigh, deciding it could be her best bet. "You wouldn't happen to know of any farms nearby, would you? I seem to have become lost." Saying it out loud made it all the more real. The gravity of her situation struck and she could not hold back the anxious look any longer. The stranger would have to forgive her of it, it could not be helped.

((somewhat recycled, next post will be brand-spankin new though!))

Messages In This Thread
    and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by wound - 01-02-2018, 12:51 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-02-2018, 11:05 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by wound - 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM