• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and I'll shiver like I used to
    She was no stranger to those of her own kind; she had spent countless leisure hours in the town amid their company as her man had sought out the company of his own kind. They were all like her, more or less... farm help. Some had better lives than others, to be sure. Some lived with family in comfort while others were driven so hard that their lives were cut short by the stress of it all. Raewen always knew where she stood in their ranks and was able to converse with them accordingly in relative ease. They spoke of the weather, the crops, the seasons, their people. They gossiped of those that were missing, or caught up on news of their human companions. 

Now, though, she felt she would have better luck communicating with a human. At least she and her man shared some common ground. In this strange land, with its strange inhabitants, she was alien. She could make out the concern and the warmth of Wound's expression, but this did little to sooth her aching body and heart. She hoped against all reason that this was just a nightmare - one she would share in passing with her friends in the town upon her next visit. You wouldn't believe this awful dream I had last week! I got loose somehow and, silly me, got lost and found myself in this strange place where there weren't any farms or humans. I've never been so relieved to wake up! But it was all too real and somewhere deep inside she knew she would never tell that story.

The mare's offer to help surprises her, but she hardly has time to process this kindness when she speaks again of the advancing darkness. Like a cornered rabbit, Raewen's tired eyes dart around her to take in as much information as quickly as possible. She feels threatened just by the suggestion of nighttime. There are so many strangers around them in this open field, many of them male. While she has had interactions with stallions and geldings alike in the town, it was all while they were tied up and unable to get to her. Some accepted their situation and acted amiably enough while others fought against their constraints (depending on the attitude and the season). She has no desire to be alone in the darkness where there are no hitching posts to hold them at bay. She takes an unconscious step or two toward Wound. 

Closer now, she can make out the smell of salt and something more acrid beneath (how could she possibly understand the distinct smell of sulfur?) on her companion. In her now-heightened awareness she takes notice of her unusual front leg that seems to hinder rather than help. So many thoughts jumble through her mind at this observation that she feels temporarily silenced. A horse with such a deformity in her world would never have made it past its first few hours of life. What good was a horse that couldn't work? But of course if there was no farm to tend, and no humans to do the deed perhaps this was a place full of things that could surprise her. The leg does not seem to have made its bearer any less kind, and so Raewen does her best to look past it lest she appear unappreciative or mean-hearted. After a moment of contemplation she nods decisively. "Thank you, I think that would be best." Despite her fatigue, her fear pushes her to follow the mare to what she can only hope is safety. 

@[wound] I'll put a post up in Tephra Smile

Messages In This Thread
    and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by wound - 01-02-2018, 12:51 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-02-2018, 11:05 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by wound - 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM
    RE: and I'll shiver like I used to - by Raewen - 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM