• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

symptoms of the culture
    Pond would have been groomed to become a politician herself, had she not been separated from her parents by the magic of the land. She had spent much of her short time in the pre-Reckoning days learning the shifting dunes of the Dewdrop Deserts and the pleasant oasis that her parents called home, but then she’d wandered too far. That’s when she had happened upon the fairies who had proposed an enticing adventure to her and others that she could not resist. After all, her elder brother was the firstborn and the designated diplomat; he was several years her senior and had already dealt with inter-kingdom negotiations. But he had been killed in battle, one of his brilliant red wings torn from his body by the Chamber of Evil stallion Siegos and presented to her parents as a grim trophy of his defeat. In some ways, she still mourns Harking, though she cannot remember him very clearly now.

But she does remember her parents, her devoted crimson mother Eiffel and her gallant father Anleifr with his strong body and willful heart. She remembers the desert sand and the marsh where they lived, the feathers her father wore in his hair, their quiet little life of solitude after Priam and Aseret took the throne. None of that is here now, though - she cannot find the hot southern wind that she remembers, but she believes that if she follows the rivers she will find her way home. How sadly she is mistaken.

So she wanders along the banks of the river all alone, unaware that her parents have retreated to live their lives in solitude once they no doubt believed their youngest daughter had been lost in the chaos. She begins to doubt she will find her home again at all and as her ears swivel, she detects a slight change in the air and a dull thud of hooves somewhere a little nearby. She lifts her eyes, pale but bright in her darkish face, and spies a stallion folding his red wings. Although his body is spotted, she takes kindly to the red feathers and responds to him with a small squeal as she trots toward him.

Her own shadow wings barely show in this light, also folded closely to her body in a fog-like status. Pond lifts her head and perks her ears and stops a few yards away. Her youthful voice rings out alongside the sound of the rushing water beside them: “Yes...or at least I think I am. I was looking for the desert.” She doesn’t realize that there is a new desert now or that she is even in a new land. “Can you tell me where I am, sir?”

@[Belgaer]

Messages In This Thread
    symptoms of the culture - by Pond - 04-21-2018, 07:52 PM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Belgaer - 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Pond - 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Belgaer - 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Pond - 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Belgaer - 05-15-2018, 07:09 PM
    RE: symptoms of the culture - by Pond - 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM