• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace

Solace

. . .

She does notice, and her heart ached to see the way his topline sinks in places that should be swollen, and the lack of muscle in his once powerful shoulders. Before he had been the picture of vitality, the colt she knew had faced Tephra's storms with strength and energy.

But as he speaks her worry eases; he had not lost his spark. His health would return if he would let it, and she had a feeling he would. His charm is still there, and  she would see him returned to his former, golden glory if he would stay this time.

"You should have taken better care of yourself," she wants to say as their bodies pull away from the other, each returning to their own orbit. "I would have searched alongside you, had I known why you left."

But she lets the past rest, not questioning the fleeting look of discomfort or uneasiness which crosses his features in the fleeting silence.  He too seems content to move along with her, to leave whatever hunger there may have been tucked away and out of sight.

"Hyaline has been left out of Sylva's attacks so far, but Tephra has not been so lucky. We know Loess is bound to Sylva in some way, but they have not caused any trouble yet. Loess has always been a quiet kingdom." For a time, when Castile had been regent, she had not had to worry about their neighbor to the south, but her meeting with Athas had been full of tension. He had set her on edge, although she hardly showed it, and her flights over that border had become more frequent. "We have strong allies in Tephra, Ischia, and Nerine, and Hyaline has strength of her own."

But soon she finds Kageru's name spilling from her lips, along with their relationship, and he is giving her another look that she isn't quite sure how to read. It passes, though and she finds herself looking into smiling, green eyes once again. 

"Thank you," she murmurs, as she briefly leans into his gentle touch, not realizing she had needed his blessing until she had it.

Then Svedka is there with them in spirit, her twin had always been her fail-safe, and the tension dissipates. "A few too many someones, if you ask me," she replies lightly in a tone which lacks any bite, "but none of them keep him in line... he hasn't changed a bit"

With a contented sigh, Solace looks back over her shoulder to the Lake. She knew he search was not over, it may never be, but it was good to have him back for now. "Common' Smoak, It may be winter, but there is still some good grazing on the south side of the lake. I need to fatten you up before I introduce you to everyone."

Messages In This Thread
    WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Smoak - 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Solace - 05-08-2018, 04:21 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Smoak - 05-09-2018, 07:58 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Solace - 05-11-2018, 03:56 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Smoak - 05-12-2018, 08:55 AM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Solace - by Solace - 05-21-2018, 02:57 PM