• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

could i use you as a warning sign - kagerus
    Her irritation is delightful. It has been quite some time since Ivar has come across someone with the will to resist him. Most mares offer no challenge to the piebald kelpie, they are as placid as the clear lake behind him. This mare with her fiery eyes is much more like his choppy ocean. The scales of his pale mouth twist in a mother-of-pearl grin as she boldly announces her title. A queen, is it? So there is more royalty, and perhaps even more queens. 

Until now, it might have been a coincidence. The women most likely to defy him seem to be those in positions of power.

(prey)

He knows, can tell from the way her soft throat shifts as she speaks, and the way her pulse thrums just out of sight.

(dangerous prey)

His head cocks curiously at the that realization, he’s never felt that way towards something as non-threatening as a small overo mare. It’s saved for the cleverer animals of the sea; those pods of quicksilver dolphins and the aggressive orcas. Hunting them is not risk-free; Ivar has a thick rippled scar along his left thigh that stretches up from his belly to prove it. Kagerus stares pointedly out at the silvery lake behind him, and Ivar takes advantage of the moment to more thoroughly admire her profile and the exaggerated beauty of the female beside him.

She speaks of the lake as though it is the very core of Hyaline, yet he finds the fresh water far less preferable than the saline sea. That can’t really be everything they had to offer in a land now touted as a sanctuary. Ivar’s most recent dealings with the kingdom of Hyaline had been years back, when the realm had only just begun to recover after the loss if its Protector. He knows the crown must have passed since then; how often are reigns ended due to death at a ripe old age anymore?

When she does not immediately attempt to drive him away, Ivar knows there is still a chance he might back out of this confrontation without harm. There is no shame in chasing easier prey. It’s safer, after all, without the risk that chasing after this particular fish might include. There are plenty of others in the sea to choose from.

But this fish is right in front of him, and Ivar has never had exceptional impulse control.

“The sea doesn’t care that I'm absent without leave,” He replies without hesitation, rolling his right shoulder nonchalantly. The scales there are still growing back, and it frequently itches. There is no pain - the fairies had seen to that - but the burnt hide of his elbow and shoulder are glaringly imperfect against the rest of the kelpie.

“I’m here because I want to see what Hyaline has to offer,” repeats the pied creature, his dark eyes blinking innocently despite the. “Is there really nothing here but the lake? I’d hate to have wasted the trip and seen nothing impressive.” He makes no effort to hide the quick flick of his gaze, as if he is tallying the unimpressive things he has seen.

If she’d been trying to warn him away with her coldness it has backfired; Ivar is all the more intrigued. 

@[Kagerus]
    this turned into a novel so...sorry and you're welcome?

Messages In This Thread
    RE: could i use you as a warning sign - kagerus - by Ivar - 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM