• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

am i afraid of you now [Vulgaris]
    everybody seems so far away from me now
    Sorrow and sadness are no foreign thing to the young girl who cries against her friend’s shoulder. She has lost her parents, she has lost her home - and yet, she had begun to find a place for herself here now. She had been found by a kind soul, she had been taken-in, given a new home and a sense of belonging again. She had learned to let herself be free again….until now.

Now the sight of bare bones and viscera burn in her eyes like brands and no matter the tears she sheds to try and wash it all away, no matter how much she blinks and frowns to try and blind the sight from her mind, she cannot stop seeing it. The poor mangled corpse, the foal so small and so wrought of its life, the blinding white of bone glaring in the sunlight… she cannot escape it.

Even as she buries her face in the scaly shoulder of Vulgaris and begs him to explain what has happened, she almost knows. His fake-soothing words purr at her ears and she looks up at him with wet gray eyes when he lifts her chin. The shadowy wings shift on her shoulders as if to prove their presence, but as she stares into his green gaze and as he speaks, she feels frozen.

“Because of me?” she repeats in a tremulous voice. “Me?” Her entire body quivers as she looks back at the poor dead colt and she takes a deep breath, attempting to calm herself but only sucking in more of the decay.

Vulgaris speaks of the colt’s parents, how he would be asleep with them now if not for her, and she chokes back another sob. She misses her own mother and father so dreadfully, wonders what had become of them, but now neither she or the slaughtered colt would ever know. In a sense, she feels as though she herself has been rent as horribly as the body they now observe.

Pond hardly notices when the taller stallion steps away and studies her; she is lost, reeling, and chilled to the bone. His words only reach her as though from miles away. All she can do is study the curves of the bones, the way the flesh and muscles sit so fluidly and yet so still over the body they were meant to animate.

You’re a monster, but I forgive you.

That part she does hear and she sobs out the breath she’d been holding before she looks up at Vulgaris questioningly.

“Monster?” she asks in a shaky voice. “I…” Her eyes fall and she suffers another tremor, shadowy wings flexing and folding back close to her shoulders again. “I didn’t mean to hurt him… I didn’t want this to happen… What…” She sobs and steps closer to him, closing her eyes against the sight again. “What have I done?”

The shadowy wings darken still more with her mounting guilt.

POND.
    everybody just wants to be free

Messages In This Thread
    am i afraid of you now [Vulgaris] - by Pond - 07-11-2018, 05:55 AM
    RE: am i afraid of you now [Vulgaris] - by Pond - 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM
    RE: am i afraid of you now [Vulgaris] - by Pond - 08-29-2018, 06:28 PM
    RE: am i afraid of you now [Vulgaris] - by Pond - 09-08-2018, 12:34 PM