• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

show them the joy and the pain and the ending; any

Despite appearances to the contrary, she understands perfectly the weight a kingdom leaves upon one’s shoulders. Heartfire had not become jaded so easily. No, it had taken a lifetime. A lifetime and then some. Her immortality might be recent, but she is far older than her years would indicate. A fact very few are privy to. Illum is perhaps the only one who had ever learned all her secrets. But that weight is a difficult thing to hide. Even she is not so skilled, despite her command of vision. It’s in that unnerving quality, the one that affects so many but few are clearly able to pinpoint.

It is the same thing that reflects in her grandmother’s eye. It has for a long time, but more heavily now.

Her gaze shifts to the sea just as Scorch’s does, blue eyes searching. She listens contemplatively to the other mare’s acknowledgement, holding her silence until her final comment. At that, her lips quirk faintly in a wry twist. Her pale gaze flicks briefly back to her grandmother before she comments simply, softly, “Change is always coming.”

Heartfire has spent years studying the behaviors of others, and her grandmother is rather an open book. Fiercely loyal with an abundant attachment to family. The blue mare can hardly scoff, for she is equally loyal to her family. She simply hides herself better. Family is such an easy tool to use in order to control others. Indeed, she has used it to do so to others. As such, she had long ago learned to control open displays of affection. It was simply a weakness she could not afford. Perhaps it had earned her the reputation of being cold. Heartless even. But she would much rather be considered such than to allow her family to be placed in danger.

In that, she and Scorch greatly differ. Her grandmother has a distinct preference for brute strength. Heartfire is all finesse.

Even so, she had very aptly demonstrated to enemies in the past just how far she is willing to go when those she loves are threatened. Finesse only gets one so far.

Unfortunately for her grandmother, she is not entirely apt to share such things so openly. Her care, while deep, is certainly far more guarded. Sighing softly, she considers the surf for a moment longer before turning to Scorch with finality, eyes darkening with intent. “Personally, I have few aspirations.” She pauses for a moment. “Politically? Well, as I have always done. I gather power.” A briefly amused smile touches her lips then. “Nerine was a powerhouse once. We should be again.”

i see your sins
    and i want to set them free

Messages In This Thread
    RE: show them the joy and the pain and the ending; any - by Heartfire - 08-27-2018, 10:56 PM