• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Rodrik.
    The Queens have been busy with their hoard of children, almost hilariously so. Having only raised three children, and each decades apart, I'm almost without sympathy; but that's not to say that I'm without pride. Yes, I am proud of my daughters, and most certainly impressed, too. In the shadows of our willow grove, Insignificance and I laugh together about the thought of having raised three children at once - never mind three, and three older ones who are still relatively dependent. She is good to me, that one; good, and growing older by the minute...

I leave her today with Rhaegor by my side. While I love all my grandchildren equally, the little mute is closest to my heart. His handicap leaves a sour taste in my mouth and a twist in my gut, but somehow and sadly, it's fitting; the defect skips a generation and has yet to run out of our family's genetics, it would seem. My father was mute, and my first son Bergamot is mute as well; now, Kagerus' son. I often blamed myself for the passing on of this trait in my youth, but in my elderliness, I find more doting within myself than any self-blame.

"Who are we meeting?" Came the colt's tiny, whispy voice. My gaze falls down to him lovingly, mouth finding the scruff of his forelock. There's a secret smile on my lips; the defect must be receding slowly, for this little mute is capable of some speech when with those he devotedly trusts. I am lucky to be one of those people. Shaking myself from this thought, I raise my lips and reply, eyes going to the horizon where lies the border which we gradually approach.

"Your great-uncle Rodrik. He looks rather funny, but I know you can deal with it. Your mother invited him to meet you in her dreams; she knows that it would be important and special to him to meet you. You're named after our father, your great-grandfather, though I know you know that. But come; he will be here soon, so put on your game face."

"I always have my game face on."

Grinning and chuckling throatily, I come to rest in a small basin along the rolling hills of Hyaline's southern entrance. We both lower our golden heads (buckskin, though I am greying terribly) to graze, and occasionally, I lift mine to scan for my broken-souled brother, he whom I have subtly taken care of since before I can remember. There's a nervous energy as we wait; but most of all, anticipation.

@[Rodrik]

Messages In This Thread
    Rodrik. - by Kavi - 08-13-2018, 10:27 PM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rodrik - 08-16-2018, 11:23 PM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rhaegor - 08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rodrik - 08-31-2018, 11:01 PM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rhaegor - 09-14-2018, 11:18 PM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rodrik - 10-06-2018, 12:10 AM
    RE: Rodrik. - by Rhaegor - 10-26-2018, 06:48 PM