• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

dark moon rising; castile
    That she must be so verbose in Hyaline's defense is only further evidence of her illogical position, and I do not make any effort to disguise the rolling of my blue grey eyes. Had my steal been successful, Ilma would have been back with her children before the day was over, with Loess holding her commuted sentence as useful leverage. I'd not given any indication of that, to be sure, but exactly how I was meant to communicate that to her when she had not ever been made to come to Loess remains a mystery.

"Your queens told Loess that Nerine would hold a knife to our throat if we stepped out of line and implied Ischia and Tephra would support it. I don't give a damn about closed borders." A kingdom that can't protect its own people is not a kingdom I'd claim, and Hyaline has never struck me as especially useful.

"You've already kept me longer than you'd have ever stayed in Loess. It's not my fault your peaceful kingdom chose threats over a simple conversation, and each day you refuse to release me is more infuriating than the last. Waiting for less heat from me about this is as futile as waiting for hell to freeze over."

I know that Castile knows about my gifts, that he'd not want me to use them how I have. As a child, my empathic projection had been a toy, used to make others think I was funny or that the ghost stories I told him were especially frightful. I didn't share with many that the tingle of fear down their spines was from more than my story-telling, but Mother had always known and I'd never kept it from my Uncle. In the years since our separation I have grown ever more skilled in their use and it occurs to me for just a moment that I might terrify Ilma, send her scampering for cover from a nameless and overwhelming sense of  terror and dread.

But I don't.

Castile stays me, for reason I am not entirely familiar with, and instead of magicking Ilma I simply scowl at her retreating back. Then I glance back at Castile. I can't quite smile, not with those sour emotions still fresh in my mind, but I do at least roll my shoulders in an attempt to relax, to brush off the bitterness of the previous conversation. "I'd invite you home to visit Loess, but perhaps somewhere less volatile might be better." At that I do smile, the tiniest quirk of my mouth at my own humor. "Plus someone else would have to tell you about how Wolfbane has changed the kingdom, and I wouldn't want to miss that." It occurs to me just as I say it that my uncle might not recognize the name of our current king, or even the one before him: my Arthas.

ooc: i did check with aeris before being a rude and bumping her. i have family coming in this afternoon to stay all weekend so i'll be swamped but i wanted to progress Lepis' timeline so it fit with her other threads Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
    dark moon rising; castile - by Lepis - 08-24-2018, 10:49 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Ilma - 08-25-2018, 11:42 AM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Castile - 08-30-2018, 12:37 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Lepis - 08-30-2018, 01:29 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Ilma - 08-31-2018, 07:08 AM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Lepis - 08-31-2018, 08:04 AM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Castile - 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Ilma - 09-03-2018, 05:00 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Lepis - 09-05-2018, 06:45 PM
    RE: dark moon rising; castile - by Castile - 09-08-2018, 10:48 AM