• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  oh you'll be strong, you'll hold on; any
    The sound of hooves isn't unexpected, but the uneven beat of them makes me turn my head. I'm only half-done tucking my wings in from my landing when I catch sight of the little figure stumbling through the meadow. It's too late in the season for a foal this small, let alone one without a mother nearby.

Yet there she is, very young and very alone, contradicting everything I know.

I move forward without thinking, my half-furled golden wings flaring out fully in an unconscious effort to shield the tiny thing from the winter winds. By the time I reach her she is already asleep. It's miraculous, really, that skill all children seem to share, and I am reminded of my own Delta, who often fell asleep halfway through a story when he was younger.

That memory is bittersweet, though only temporarily. The buckskin colt is but a few hours away, and yet the distance between the two of us feels insurmountable. It makes sense, then, that I need somewhere to focus my maternal concern and that this sudden arrival is the recipient.

"Hey" I say gently, tapping her side gently with one long feather. I'm sure she is tired, but leaving her to sleep in the Meadow with no guardian in sight feels unsafe. "Wake up, little one."

Messages In This Thread
    RE: oh you'll be strong, you'll hold on; any - by Lepis - 09-03-2018, 02:16 PM