• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

on a stormy sea of moving emotion//Brennen
    He keeps his eyes attentive on her face as he awaits a response, genuinely curious for her answer. It’s not often that he forms a true, fast friendship like he had with Breckin outside of his family; he’s generally more suspicious of strangers and while cordial, takes quite a while to warm up to the friendship stage. It had been different, with the spotted woman, and he’d found himself with a firm friend from the very beginning. It’s a good thing he’s paying attention to her, because when she does respond it’s with a rush of words that flows over him like a tidal wave, though he is careful not to let it show as he carefully picks apart the sentence and chooses to respond to it in pieces, rather than a whole.

“Control will come in time, and practice,” he offers first, quietly reassuring. “I was only born with my wings, you know; I’ve had to learn and re-learn everything else over the years, and I promise it gets easier.” In theory, anyway, and it had been easier for everything until the magic. The magic had been incredibly hard to learn, but even that the control came in time. “As to the second, congratulations. I am sad to see Wishbone go, I was certainly of a favorable mind about the brief time I knew her, but, well,” he pauses, gives her another little smile. “I may be biased, but I think you’ll shine even brighter.” The last bit, the last bit gives him pause, and his eyes go a little distant. The bay stallion has been in love more than a few times, with varying degrees of intensity and lengths of duration, and it’s always been an adventure. “I don’t think love is tragic,” he says quietly. “Frustrating sometimes, and confusing, and exhilarating, but not tragic. By its very nature, it’s a joyous thing all wrapped up in other emotions, and it at its heart can’t be tragic It always has a silver lining.”

After a moment, she gently turns the question back onto him and he considers it, the recent past has been quite overcast with only moments of bright, shining light. “It hasn’t been the best year or two,” he admits, and waits for the wave of grief to overwhelm him, but it simply laps gently at the edges of his mind and he wonders if the storm has finally run its course. “We lost my daughters, just children, and that was impossibly hard. It’s different, to lose them violently than when I’ve lost people to old age, and it hit me – us, Galilee and I – hard. And on top of those emotions, I had all this extra power to deal with, and absolutely no control over it, and the threat of war with Sylva looming. But the pain faded,” he gives a very bittersweet little half-smile, “And the control just took time. And the future is looking bright again.”

Messages In This Thread
    RE: on a stormy sea of moving emotion//Brennen - by Brennen - 09-19-2018, 12:07 AM