• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Desolation comes upon the sky // Brennen/Blue
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    Scorch’s joke is mostly lost on him; he is rarely in charge of naming any of his children, and he certainly has no complaints about ‘Blue’. Brennen says nothing in response, though he does briefly glance at her, perturbed by the tone of her tone. It’s hard, though, for the mare to hold his attention when Blue exists. He watches, enraptured by her as he is enraptured by all of his children, as she finds her way to Scorch’s milk and begins to drink, noisily and with no though to what else is going on (as new babies are wont to do). Brennen could watch her all day, but the problems of adults interrupts his other desires, and he has to strain to hear her words.

“It wasn’t,” he agrees just as quietly, but there’s a hint of something underlying the words. His honey-brown eyes are sad, because this is the first moment he’s regretted what they did. He doesn’t regret Blue – he couldn’t – but if he steps back to a wider perspective, he can see how having Blue will hurt Scorch, and the ones she loves, and cause her pain; and he never wanted that. Just like he never wanted to regret their few stolen moments – but that was when it was just once, just a few hours, never to be repeated and never to hurt anyone else. “I love her, too,” he says, and he chokes on the rest (’I love you, too’ - because he can’t say that out loud. That must be in the past.

His best friend, his once-lover, asks where they go from here, and he takes a moment to consider. The world reshapes around him, possibilities and probabilities spinning around the hard realities that ground them. In an instant everything is possible, but that’s not really true. The bay Kraken has to swallow hard before he can answer, and his quiet voice radiates unhappiness. There isn’t a good solution, but there is a best solution. “We go forward,” he restates the question. “You have responsibilities in Nerine, and a family there. I have responsibilities here, and Galilee and the other babies. I think you’ll have to raise her in Nerine…but…” his voice breaks because even though he’s let other children go without a fuss, left them to their mothers to raise if that was what they wanted, he can’t bear the thought of giving Blue up. “You’ll visit? Both of you?”

It isn’t pleading (yes he is). Kings and Krakens don’t plead (until now).
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Desolation comes upon the sky // Brennen/Blue - by Brennen - 10-06-2018, 07:56 PM