• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS.
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

The arrival of the sea creature is, in fact, one which lends itself not to worry or distress but to near-laughter. Of all the things that could happen, a betentacled usurper happens to be the last on my list of 'things expected or prepared for.' It's not out of disrespect that I must stifle my glee as the monster drones on about her plans for Pangea - in truth, I am stowing the information rather carefully; but in the heat of the moment as the threat of the plague looms above us all, she seems entirely comical.

She offers a final comment of peace, and it is all I can do to dip my head in acknowledgement. My withers twitch against Solace's wing, the only show of discomfort and mania in this shitshow; but our true members begin speaking next, and their steadfastness soothes my disquieted soul.

Litotes, a relatively young newcomer (though hadn't Solace began her rule at age 4?) offers himself up to the dangers of Hyaline, pledging himself and his efforts to her cause. My eyes find his and hold them, a knowing look exchanging between us; my children tell me things, and I know of his connections to them and others... One other who includes she who comes forward next. Kensa, also young, and yet already an invaluable asset to the kingdom. As I listen to her speak so fondly of our mountainous kingdom, I see something of a leader inside of her; my heart squeezes, and I blink softly in her direction. She, too, pledges herself to the subkingdom. I bow my head once more, silent for now as everyone speaks.

Kiko raises her voice, another newcomer. She mentions wanting to do anything she can, and I decide to take up the offer. "Kiko," I say through the crowd, finding her gaze among the many which have gathered. "I think your efforts would be best pointed towards Silver Cove. You have a motherliness about you, and the children who call The Sanctuary home will be glad to have you to comfort them."

Speaking of young, scared children, a filly whom I have heard a lifetime's worth of stories about comes forth next. Dawn, or Dawny as I remember her called by my son. I yearn to go to her as panic overwhelms her, causing her voice to tremble. A thread of guilt runs through me knowing that Rhaegor has left her here, thanks to some unforeseen circumstances involving a particularly harsh ambassador... But Ilma is not entirely to blame for the eldest prince's departure, for I know too that he holds a fondness for Magnus, which I encourage wholeheartedly.

I yearn to go to her, but my wife - the mother of our children - beats me to it, able to respond more naturally to her comforting instincts than I. She presses herself to the young girl, but what happens next surprises eve me; with a gentleness only she could call forth, threads of light begin piercing the darkening sky - and before I know what is happening, a beacon of hope and strength beams from her skin, speaking of a sanctuary and of a refuge to any who may need it. I watch, in awe, as this happens. Tears come to my eyes - and indeed, they drop.

There is no shame in showing emotions. Those gathered here will not think me weak for it.

Lowering my head from where it had been craned to gaze upon the beacon, I look towards Dawn, and speak momentarily to her alone. "Rhaegor is in Tephra, Dawn. But he will come to find you soon. I promise. For now, the Cove will keep you safe."

Knaught, yet another new face, speaks to Solace next. He offers himself up as a sacrifice to the Sanctuary, punctuating his speech with an elegant bow; my lips curl up warmly upon seeing this, and I in turn nod my antlered head to him. The handsome stallion will be useful in the upcoming months, I know it already.

At long last, it is a long-term resident coming forward to join the group. I eye Briseis keenly, knowing to expect something out of the ordinary from our resident mustang. Although she presents as perhaps the most regular horse in the history of Beqanna (untraited, unspectacular, and reliably horse-ish), something about the ruddy little mare that I'd brought to Hyaline some years ago screams resiliency and spitfire. When she accuses the nameless mare of not introducing herself and not belonging, I can't help but to quirk a brow and to chuckle. "Good Briseis - I am glad to see you still here. Will you remain in the Cove? And where is that daughter of yours?" I crane my neck to try and see Chryseis, but the gold-faced filly is nowhere to be found.

Some of the children are emancipating themselves already, it would seem.

Alas, we are a kingdom made of young blood, and Adria's appearance reaffirms that fact. I smile upon seeing the Nereid, she whom I had met some months ago in a sea of grass. Panthera, who lays with her head upon her paws to my left, lifts her tawny head and looks with her piercing amber gaze towards the shifter; but she soon becomes disinterested and resumes her relaxed stance. I, however, continue to observe with a keen gaze. She also chooses to take interest in Yidhra alone, and I find myself needing to voice similar question; but another face comes along who would like to take arms against the monstress.

Tähti. A  yearling yet again due to an accident that Warlight had briefly described to her mother and I some time ago, though in truth her soul is nigh on three or four years now. With this in consideration, I take her words with more maturity than they appear to come, what with her body being so new and fresh. Still, she at least deigns to answer her Caretaker's proposals, to which I am eager to reply. I will be speaking to Yidhra after this - the fact that she decided to come and have everyone spit in her face is of no concern to me. She inserted herself somewhere she does not quite belong and will suffer the consequences of this.

"Tähti - you are welcome to take up post in Hyaline or the Cove, whichever you feel more called to. We will indeed be needing protection from claimers; but we also need to keep this land safe, too. Your diligence is recognized." I dip my head to her, then look to the last mare, she whom I had not been able to address just yet. "And Adria - you are welcome to both lands too. I know the water calls to you - there are two small lakes in this kingdom, but you know yourself best. I trust you to choose wisely."

As my words fade, the creature among us who should not have joined chooses to have her final say - a wise move if I do say so myself. Although she doesn't belong, the creature - Yee-Tho-Rah - demands a certain respect and authority, qualities which do not go unnoticed by me. She moves also with an unearthliness, sending invisible shivers through my bones - as she slides closer, my gut clenches, wishing Solace were closer. But I raise my mutilated face in defiance of the creature's arrogance, wondering if her eyes will snag on the cleft which mars my face and ruins what might have been my beauty.

She speaks poetically of the sea, a topic which only interests Adria at the present. Then, she offers tactical advice, mentioning the geographic placement of Pangea in relation to Hyaline, a fact which I stow away for later. She offers border protection now, but the fact remains that she is not yet the assured leader of the realm she so wishes to be... Nothing is sure now, except perhaps the fact that The Sanctuary represents the largest number of equines across all of the kingdoms in all of Beqanna. That alone should lend the kraken some humility - but of course, it does not.

At long last, the mare - if you can call her that - turns to Solace and I, addressing us directly. Her voice - water logged and ancient - spins together into words of peace and harmony, though I am wary to accept them without further inspection. As such, I simply nod my head to her when she proposes a private meeting, knowing that I will be pursuing her after this. When she comes closer and dares to spit profanity disguised as flirtation my way, my ears pin to my skull and my chin lifts, eyes purposefully looking above and beyond the kraken in unhidden disgust. Otherwise, no reaction is given to her presence; and when she leaves, I simply lower my head and continue to gaze upon those gathered.

Our son speaks next, the only one of our children who has blessed us with their presence here today. I turn my head towards Velk, the stoicism left on my face because of Yidhra melting into something more calm and nurturing. When he pledges himself to the Cove alone, I can't help but to smile and to step to him, pressing my muzzle to the base of his shoulder in a show of gratitude and respect. "You have grown into a stallion far beyond what your mother and I could have hoped for," I murmur to him privately, such that none other might hear. "I am proud of you, son."

Stepping back, I give him a small nod of my head before looking back to the crowd. "Velk and I will remain here, in the Cove. If the Gods are on our sides, his healing may be powerful enough to heal the plague-ridden. For now, if you contract the plague, you may find both of us to relieve your symptoms.

A romance of Warlight's approaches next, a horned boy by the name of Clayton. I listen as he proclaims The Sanctuary's principles, nodding in agreement to all that he says. Before he turns to go - with Knaught in tow, he being eager and able to perform duties outside of the Cove - I step forward, indicating that I would like to speak. When he pauses, I do. "Be careful, Clayton and Knaught. And beware: though we are a Sanctuary, this sickness is bound to give rise to evils we have not seen in decades. Do not offer our kingdom to those whose presence does not sit well with you: if they strike you as untrustworthy, then best to leave them to other safelands."

At last, it would seem that we have no more interruptions. My eyes briefly find Solace's, and from their bright cerulean depths I draw what strength I can, needing to make a final remark to the many gathered figures.

"We can continue to discuss this at length if you would like, but please note that the following changes are being made to The Sanctuary's council. Kensa," I look to the liver chestnut. "You are being appointed the Ambassador of Hyaline, making you third below your Cartakers, and Ilma, who is away in Tephra and should be here soon. Your efforts to recruit and your passion for Hyaline have not gone unnoticed. Thank you."

My eyes go next to the stallion who has claims on many hearts, but mostly, on his duties. "Litotes, you will become The Sanctuary's General. Warrick has elected to return to Tephra in light of some changes occurring there... Lie, your efforts to mock and your passion for Hyaline have not gone unnoticed. Thank you."

Lastly, I speak to the crowd at large. "Many of you have been assigned to new ranks within The Sanctuary. Although chaos is at our doorsteps, know that activity will still be rewarded in this new world. With the recent influx of members, we have expanded the castes to three-tiers."

"Any more comments or questions?"

If you don't want to read it all, I suggest using control+F to find your character's name to see how she replied to each of you.
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Kagerus - 10-31-2018, 06:50 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Yidhra - 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by litotes - 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Kensa - 10-31-2018, 09:01 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Knaught - 10-31-2018, 09:14 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Kiko - 10-31-2018, 10:35 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Dawn - 10-31-2018, 11:26 PM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Solace - 11-01-2018, 08:14 AM
    RE: ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS. - by Knaught - 11-01-2018, 07:01 PM