• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

that's all there is;

that's all there is

It’s almost a relief, to have named the things she wants and needs. A weight lifted off of her chest, or perhaps fog lifted from her future. Noah has been living day-to-day, moment-to-moment, with little care or real regard for what the future might hold. Now she can see it, the possibilities of the future, stretching out before her glowing with…something. With hope, she realizes a moment later when she examines the feelings. Someday, there will be a bright new future for all of them. “I’m glad I found you also. I need them, need something to do, as much as they could ever need me.” She gives him a quick, shy smile. Helping people, pushing away the disease, cultivating the Pampas to hold those seeking sanctuary, has given Noah a reason to wake from her nightmares every morning and go on.

Maybe someday, that reason will be her own family. She listens quietly to his own troubled past, and can feel the connection between them. Perhaps these deeper things is why she felt so instantly able to trust him, even though she has every reason not to trust anyone anymore. She can feel his anger at what had happened and she risks a touch, reaching out to press a soothing touch to his tense shoulder, just under where his wings begin. “I have had moments where I thought about revenge,” she admits, even though she isn’t sure she likes that about herself. Such lawless violence as revenge reminds Noah of her volatile and very un-maternal dam, who isn’t someone she ever wants to emulate. “But then again, they have brought this plague on themselves, in addition to making the rest of us suffer its consequences, so I think perhaps the world has already taken revenge for me.”

Or at least she’s convinced herself of this, because she has no way to find and take her revenge on any of them. She has only the indelible memory of their faces as they kill her father, in her dreams every night. But there are so many of them.

“Fate,” she tastes the word, finds she likes it in this positive light. When Rhonen had spoken of fate and curses and his responsibility as a seal holder, Noah had always felt it was dark and depressing, something that chased you inescapably until you died. But the way Wolfbane speaks of it, it’s something that gives them a purpose and a path to follow. So the face he seens when he turns back to Noah is one of gentle hope, despite the pain that lingers underneath. “A good fate to have.” She looks once more around Loess, and considers the ramifications of being here – not for her, she is immune, but he is not. He is already unfurling his wings, thinking forward to his next steps. “You will have to go many unprotected places, to do your duties for Loess. At some point you’ll be exposed.” Even in her whisper-soft voice, it’s more fact that speculation. “Will you be careful? And come see me sooner, rather than later, if you don’t feel well. It’s easier to arrest the disease early, than to drive it out later.”

Noah has been conserving her strength, treating only those from Loess or the Pampas, or those in desperate need outside of their realms. It takes something out of her, and she knows her resources are not infinite – but he cannot lead them to a better future, Loess and the Pampas with it, unless he is well. She does not want anything – masculine pride, unwillingness to show weakness, or belief that others are more important – to interfere with the future she can see now.

noah

@[Wolfbane]

Messages In This Thread
    that's all there is; - by Noah - 11-10-2018, 11:02 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Wolfbane - 11-11-2018, 02:33 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Noah - 11-13-2018, 11:09 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Wolfbane - 11-18-2018, 12:52 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Noah - 12-07-2018, 09:16 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Wolfbane - 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM
    RE: that's all there is; - by Noah - 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM