• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

abashed the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is; lupine
    abashed was feeling very icky. Her tummy hurt, and her nose was oozing blood and snot and grossness, and getting up felt like about the worst idea in the whole of the world. But a mew even tinier than hers sounded up above her head, and she turned her face up to look. “Hello?” she croaked out, and it turned into a cough so hard it hurt her throat. But the teensy baby mew mewed again, and this time she spotted him up in the tree, stuck and crying for help.

“Oh!” Her bleary eyes widened and she groaned and dragged herself to her feet. “It’s okay! I’ll come save you!” Or she would try, at least. Her cough wracked her body again, and she almost fell right back to the ground. Somehow, though, she managed to stay standing, and she stumbled over to the trunk of the tree. “I’m real good at climbing!” she promised, and it was true enough most days. When her legs weren’t shaking and she wasn’t feeling woozy. But the littlest mew needed help, and what could she do but try?

So she sank sharp little claws into the trunk of the tree and started climbing, doing her best to ignore the way her limbs started shaking almost immediately. Exhaustion had her fighting to cling to the bark less than halfway up, but she pushed herself on, following that sad, lonely little mew. I’m coming, she promised silently, needing every breath too desperately to say it out loud.

But by the time she got to the top, it was all she could do to claw her way onto the branch and collapse into a heap of baby fluff, panting, her whole body shaking. “I dunno if I can get us down yet,” she said, her throat tightening as tears rose to well up in her eyes. “I’m sorry. I’m not a very good helper.” She really wasn’t any good at anything, was she?

So dumb, she knew that too. Should’ve known better than to think she could actually help. She sniffled pathetically, and just gagged on the ick that dripped down the back of her throat when she did. Ugh, she was awful, and she shouldn’t have bothered to try. She squeezed her eyes shut like she could pretend herself away to go hide in the dark somewhere cozy and tight and good for hiding in, tears rolling down her cheeks. “Sorry I’m so useless.”

Messages In This Thread
    RE: abashed the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is; lupine - by abashed - 12-26-2018, 09:25 PM