• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  like the dawn, you broke the dark - valdis
    And in the darkened underpass I thought,
    "Oh Satan, my chance has come at last!"

Solace’s concern is nearly tangible when she notes the occasional cough from her daughter and the evasive answer. Valdis blinks, half-expecting to be chided for her poor decision but it never comes. Reprimanding would do nothing to heal the girl of her ailments. It would be a waste of breath, really, because what’s done is done. The fever continues working its way through Valdis’ body, poisoning her bloodstream and sinking into her fatigued muscles. She desperately tries to hide it, guarding herself, behind her proud expressions and softened voice that mother knows so well. A snort quivers her nostrils, exhaling roughly in a desperate attempt to harbor her cough. The truth of her infection forges a small amount of tension as they consider the what-if’s, and although there is no sense masking her illness, Valdis doesn’t want to worry her mother even more. There is enough filling Solace’s agenda as she protects Hyaline while still maintaining a family and peace among all.

That’s another reason why Valdis hardly responds to mother’s confession of her relationship with father. Shrugging with resignation rather than challenging or fishing for more, she simply says, ”I understand.” Although really she doesn’t. There was a residual tenderness in Castile’s eyes when he looked at Solace, but it hadn’t been mutual. Questions brewed underneath Valdis’ composed surface, but they never left the safe confines of her mind. Things happen for a reason, she tells herself before distracting herself with other matters. They will never be a truly complete and happy family. Growing up with division, Valdis doesn’t expect it to at all change. Not now, not ever.

Her life has always been different from the triplets, from the brood Solace has created with Kagerus. It has always been there, that invisible wall, and it pushed against Valdis throughout her childhood. It didn’t falter her love for the family, not at all, but it opened her eyes to see beyond Hyaline and the family she was more or less adopted into. She and Velk are the outliers. It’s only right – perhaps expected – that she steps off their path to create one of her own because she isn’t one of them.

She isn’t a full-blooded Hyaline princess.
    Half of her is a rogue.

Nonetheless, Valdis manages to smear a grin across her lips when her sapphire eyes lift to her mother’s. ”I know,” she murmurs even as she questions the validity of it, ”you and Hyaline have always given me what I wanted and needed.” Love, a home, warmth, family. In the way her statement breaks, there is a teetering pause that cradles a heavy ‘but.’ Formulating the words during her hesitation, Valdis glances quickly away toward the distant horizon before she can search Solace’s face again, mustering the bravery to admit her decisions. She almost confesses how out of place she has always felt, but that would only upset mother. It wouldn’t be a balm for the truth – it would be a knife.

”There was this guy,” she bites her lip because it isn’t a dreamy fairytale. Valdis is well aware of the dangers (or at least wary of the potential) and it excites her more than anything else has thus far in life. Sinner has opened up a door of opportunity for her. With a dark charm, he has lured her into his spider web and has sunken his teeth into her. Deciding to be upfront, she finally confesses, ”I’m going to Sylva.” A simple and matter-of-fact answer spoken from the lips of a young adult and not a child, yet it still hurts to defy mother’s hopes and wishes. ”Velk,” she mutters her twin’s name with a weighted sigh, both angry and hurt toward the space between them. ”I don’t see him anymore.” It would be strange to find him and demand (because she wouldn’t ask her own brother – what good is having a twin when you don’t even fight for dominance?) for his help to heal the sickness branching through her. ”It’s okay. I’ll manage,” admittedly, she doesn’t know how. She doesn’t know of any healers and the quest wasn’t enough to take away her symptoms, but mother doesn’t need to know that. ”There’s someone in Sylva that can help once I’m there,” a rose-tinted lie curtained behind a plastic smile.

VALDIS
    But then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask.

@[Solace]

Well, that ended up a novel lmao

Messages In This Thread
    RE: like the dawn, you broke the dark - valdis - by Valdis - 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM