• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

in the cold light of day we're a flame in the wind [litotes]

everything we are, it just went away
    with a slide of the tongue and a sour taste

She overthinks. It is her hamartia if anything, but who could have guessed the imaginative little unicorn in the Playground would grow up into a diplomatic polar bear who overthinks and overanalyzes every situation? There is too much buzzing around in her head for her to slow down, as much as she wants to sleep the pain away and move on with her life. What if this, what if that; all of the what ifs try to overwhelm her and though she is next to someone who is nearly a perfect stranger, it is nearly impossible to swallow back the panic rising in her throat.

She regrets her words as she watches the flush of emotions play out over the cremello’s cheeks, and she flushes slightly as she lowers her head and glances away. What he says next, though, shocks her, and her gaze falls to him again. “I never knew my own father, while we’re being honest,” she tells him, smiling softly as she thinks of the man Cress has told her about. He was too wild to ever be a good father to her, but Dawn had accepted that a long time ago. “But I don’t hate him, because as you say, without him, I would never be. And I enjoy life, for the most part.”

He continues on and she looks away again, eyes meeting the horizon as he offers her a shoulder. She leans into him gratefully and sighs, the thoughts heavy on her mind but not quite so overwhelming anymore. “Perhaps you’re right,” she murmurs, blinking past the light film of tears. “I hope that one day I will know unrequited love, but for now I will continue to mourn what never was – what never could have been.” It was never meant to be, after all.

And so they stand like that, as the hours pass, silently soaking in the ocean as the tides change and the sun continues on its course across the sky.

Dawn

oh, it's gonna be a long night

@[litotes]
    clean.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: in the cold light of day we're a flame in the wind [litotes] - by Dawn - 02-17-2019, 12:20 AM