• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  ...with my name on your tongue and your tongue on my... || Chryseis
    you were a vision in the morning
    when the light came through,
    i know i've only felt religion
    when i've lied with you
    and i'm still waking every morning
    but it's not with you

She had waited for him, just as she had promised.

At first, she had waited in Tephra, because that was where she had last seen him. The volcanic kingdom was intended to be a fresh start, a new beginning, just for the two of them. Without him there, however, it never really felt like home. Their faces were all strangers, and the usually vibrant and energetic girl found herself suddenly withdrawing, preferring instead of just watch. The girl that had once placed herself at the center of attention soon found herself morphing into a wallflower. She watched as the crown changed hands, she watched as it briefly stirred the quiet kingdom into a buzz, but it did nothing to sway her in one way or another; she simply didn’t care. She just wanted Rhaegor to come back.

Even when the first talks of war reached her ears, she could only summon a half-hearted interest. Nothing could have prepared her for the attack Loess as intending to launch. She had watched in confusion when the first firebreather had come – her brother, Ophanim, golden and sending a torrent of flames into the trees and brush, followed soon by the dragon stallion. Once the land was plunged into darkness, she had fled.

That was what she had always done, though. She ran from Hyaline, she ran from Nerine, she ran from her father. She had never meant to become the girl that ran away from everything, and never in a million years did she think she would be the girl that blended into the background, but somehow, that was precisely who she was.

The flames of Tephra sent her back to the mountains of Hyaline, and even though it felt strange and unfamiliar and nothing like home anymore, it still held with it an odd sort of comfort. The land was quiet now; quieter than it had been when they were children, but it didn’t feel like a bad quiet. But she still felt empty, and a little lost, and she found herself spending her nights in the hidden, small valley she had shown Rhaegor so many years ago.

She isn’t sure why she comes to the forest today, but she leaves Hyaline when the sky is still dark. The promise of morning lingers just above the treetops, and the way the sky begins to brighten with the pastel colors of the sunrise manages to lighten the heaviness in her heart, but only minimally. The forest was alive with the colors of autumn, and the metallic of her blaze looked like it was made to be set against the golden yellows, crimson reds, and burnt oranges of the leaves.

Chryseis. She hears his voice inside of her head, and when she freezes to a stop, her heart stills along with her. For the longest moment, she does not breathe; she does not blink. She listens, silent and hopeful, but already scolding herself for daring to do such a thing. When she moves forward again it is with cautious steps, cringing at every dry leaf that crunches beneath her hooves, and every brittle twig she snaps. Slipping through the slender trunks of the trees, she finally finds who she had been looking for.

“Rhae,” she had meant to scream his name, but her voice fails her. With her heart leaping into her throat his name comes out as a weak whisper, and while she is at first elated to see him, it quickly turns to devastation at the state he was in. But it does not keep her from rushing forward; it doesn’t keep her from pressing her chest to his, from lowering her head to place it beneath his and curl into him in a familiar embrace. “You’re alive,” she whispers against his neck, her eyes closing as she breathes him in. “But you’re still so sick,” she says as she pulls away just slightly, just enough for her worried brown eyes to take him in again. The idea of asking him where he had been never even crosses her mind; she was far too grateful to have him home at all to even care anymore.

chryseis

@[Rhaegor]

only if you forgive me cause mine was all over the place

Messages In This Thread
    RE: ...with my name on your tongue and your tongue on my... || Chryseis - by Chryseis - 06-29-2019, 03:16 AM