• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face - Lilliana
    As off-putting as Neverwhere was, the idea of a bulldog mare keeping guard over Lilliana while Wolfbane couldn’t was like a balm to the exasperated stallion. The idea of it made him bite back a sharp grin, watching Never grouch and then surprisingly take the upperhand. Two half-ears, two half-eyes, one gall-filled stomach and you’d have the ingredients for what Lilliana considered a friend worth helping. Bane reasoned that even if his deepest desire right now was to suddenly spring atop the muddy brown-and-sterling mare and pluck her useless eyes right out of their sockets he could still allow himself a margin of respect concerning his ‘guest’, considering she was going out of her way to keep Wolfbane from the one thing he desired most right now.

And doing a damn fine job of it too, he thought, eyeing Lilliana slip further away from him and down into the damp, swirling mists near the shoreline. Begrudgingly he let the lofted wing sink again, then kicked off to follow where they’d begun walking.

“Yea, there’ve been plenty of nights I wished for company and been left without much except that desire to keep me warm.” Bane grinned through a mouthful of fang, caught up for a minute in the reverie and soothing motion of how his shoulders, back, and hips rotated at this leisurely pace. His wings swayed gently through the strides, adding rustling to the cacophony of sounds like hooves plopping through wet sand and the gentle swoosh of the ocean rolling back and forth from the land. “Takes a rare individual to make you feel at home in a world of strangers.”

He sighed visibly this time, thinking (much like Lilliana thought) that whatever initial reservations Neverwhere might’ve harbored against him, she’d decided on trying to make the rest of the trip as bearable as possible. She’d been reticent enough in the past few moments that when the rough bystander finally did say something, it was to try and land a hit below Wolfbane’s belt which, kudos for her, was the last thing he’d expected.

Unlucky for Never, the aim was misplaced.

She does manage to twist his relaxed mouth into a rough frown. Disliking him or hating him was fine, those were matters of her opinion. Mentioning Heartfire and goading on her previous knowledge of Taiga was endearing as well, he didn’t need anyone’s approval and unlike the majority of Beqanna he didn’t fear Heartfire. In fact Neverwhere should - and thinking about it turned Wolfbane’s head askew so that he was staring at the base of that silver-brown poll - before she said too much.

The thing that unsettled him most was how Never was so willing to bare her ass while he was doing his best to build something of a ceasefire here, (at the very least to make Lilliana comfortable) and if Neverwhere considered herself someone who needed to protect Lilli then she was going about it the wrong way. For all her obvious disgust at Wolfbane and his attraction to her companion, Neverwhere didn’t know jackshit about anything concerning his past or future, the mother of his children, or really Heartfire for that matter either. Worst of all she knew nothing about how he felt for Lilliana. But while he was wetting his tongue to tell her all this, the slender chestnut took him by surprise.

‘Lilli’ disappeared, replaced by the short sparks of a lit firecracker who managed to steal the words directly off his tongue. Wolfbane blinked back further surprise at the turn of conversation, drawn away from looking at the back of Neverwhere’s head to where Lilliana strode like a flaming torch through the fog. The desire for any retribution burned away, overcome by something much stronger that settled very firmly into the roots of Bane’s core when he found Lilli’s blue eyes waiting for him across the span of Neverwhere’s back.

“That’s alright Lilliana,” The blue-striped drake hummed, settling for “we’re neighbors after all. I expect our neighbors to be curious about the Comtesse.”

He hoped to the Gods that Heartfire was watching them now, or that Lilliana could hear the thin, sharp edge in his words when he further explained, “But I’d prefer the world to know Lepis as that - the Comtesse - and not my mate. Politics, like horses, change often in Beqanna. Sometimes it’s best to keep the two separate.”

He’d not taken a year abroad to come back and keep things the same. Not when he’d changed so much; not when his entire world was shifting focus around him. “I’m glad you asked though: speaking of Lepis reminds me that I have an engagement with her.” He spoke casually, not allowing either the chance to respond while he turned to glance at their progress. Barely, the faint outlines of otherworldly shapes loomed ahead in the dense, misty cover. They were close enough now to continue without him. “I’ve interrupted enough as it is. Ladies,” He smirked, halting and looking down the beach to his left.

“Neverwhere, a pleasure. Someday I’ll have to extend the same courtesies to you and my grandmere in Nerine.” The place was like a second home to him; he knew the crags and cliffs nearly as well as he knew Loess, “Lilliana,” He paused for a moment, conflicted. “Can I come and find you later?” Bane breathed, the same energy from earlier crackling into his eyes and brightening his expression.

She only needed to answer, and then he’d happily soar away to leave them on their own again.

@[neverwhere]
    @[lilliana]
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face - Lilliana - by Wolfbane - 10-18-2019, 01:03 AM