• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere)
    Neverwhere’s luck at avoiding one particular Beqanna family and Eyas’ luck at staying hidden intersected, crashing together into one smoldering pile of shitty fate, and the resulting event was their meeting one another. Of all the horses she might’ve crossed, Eyas hadn’t suspected it would be one from Nerine and one who knew her great-grandmother on an almost intimate level. This just seemed like too uncanny of a thing, them meeting out here like this, Neverwhere bristling and standing there like an angry badger knee-deep in grass.

“Easy for you to say!” Eyas huffed indignantly, dropping the charade and her invisibility. She doesn’t know yet that circumstances are what they are, or that Neverwhere had already discerned a recognizable scent underneath the layers of scum and matted hair. The roaming girl only knew that her ‘jig’ was metaphorically ‘up’. And that Never apparently A) Disliked magic and those who used it, B) Had no idea or very little understanding of her own appearance, making fun of Eyas like she did, and C) Was more than willing to engage whatever disturbed her rather than just moving on from it.

“You try being invisible and then come and tell me how that works out for you.” The young mare muttered, taking a deliberately stinky step closer to lower her head and tear at the grass underhoof in one sweeping, angry motion. The entire meadow didn’t belong to this spitting viper - so there. Her head popped up again, mouth stuffed with the remaining grass edible enough for digestion, and Eyas chewed stubbornly. “However,” She muttered through her mouthful, still a bit stern yet softer - not directed at Neverwhere but at what she’d said earlier. “I usually don’t care for magic either. In this case I just thought …”

She swallowed down the lump of wet food and let the rest of her sentence drift away.

“Fuck it. Doesn’t matter what I think. Obviously my plan to stay undetected didn’t work anyway.” She said, as if to prove the uselessness of being gifted regardless of the gift. What would this stranger even care? Eyas sighed, realizing the fruitlessness of explaining her situation to anyone at all. Especially this horse in particular; she eyed the silvery animal more closely this time and detected the familiar scents of Nerine wafting past her own stench. Whoever this mare was she seemed fit for the northern Kingdom, wearing a deep scowl and looking as if she’d weathered a hundred or so storms.

“I’m sorry if I disturbed you. I’m E-” She started telling her own name, then paused to think better of it, “-vion. Evion the nomad.”

Eyas couldn’t let down her guard just yet, even if this horse was from Nerine. “Are you a recruiter?” She wondered casually. Lying wasn’t exactly her strong suit and giving a false name had already roused that earlier fear and trepidation she’d brought with her out here. “The winters in Beqanna are kind of hard on the body… and I’m not very adept at this whole ‘loner’ lifestyle.”

@[neverwhere]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere) - by Eyas - 10-20-2019, 02:12 AM