• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere)
    Darkness gathers, lapping closer to their hooves like the incoming tide, and a faint smile grows on the thin mare's lips. An exasperated sigh is already building in the expansion of Neverwhere's chest, breath drawn in while Evion lets her thoughts trail off again into silence and finishes her sentence with an unshared joke. For a moment, the straight set of Neverwhere's mouth grows more stern in the face of inner laughter, but she pulls it back, resets to casual indifference with a shrug.

"I'll be going back the way I came, ev... eventually... I..." Her own words trail off, lost mid-sentence in the dark cavern of her mind. For a moment, she dully wonders if Evion is, in fact, ill, and she has caught whatever it is. A hold out of the Plague? She had not been here then, and she does not want the Plague, but she almost laughs remembering a light-hearted conversation about starting one anew.

Lilli.

Neverwhere pulls her nose back with a startled jerk, a half-remembered cog falling into place as she sets her gaze again on Evion. Her eyes narrow a moment, the delicate, skin around them crinkling, confused, why does this mare's scent remind her of her friend? She cannot put the puzzle together, does not think it is as simple as shared blood between them, and shelves the mystery again, retuning her attention just in time to hear the other mare speak, serious, but with the distant sing-song of a soothsayer.

She almost laughs again at the dull-coated mare, a hard, sharp exclamation accompanied by a sneer as if she could possibly express her disinterest and disdain for assuming that sort of responsibility. She almost laughs, because before she can, Evion gasps wretchedly, and the whole world lurches forward. The laugh budding in her chest is pulled from her throat roughly enough to leave it raw, and she stumbles forward with the ground, echoing the over-fast retraction of magic. As quickly as it began, the sense of vertigo evaporates, and the silver dapple pulls up abruptly.

"I haven't done anything," a thread of mistrust laces through her words. More magic. "So much for not caring for magic, are you trying to give me a headache?"

She winces and pulls away from Evion, eyes shutting against the last light of the sun glaring angrily at the horizon. What the hell is that mare trying to do? Neverwhere wonders, and almost hopes that Evion is in her mind again, can feel the knife-edge to the thoughts. The pain of the sun in her eyes, and the recolinv of the magic dulls to a slow throb and she re-opens her pale, clouded eyes, focusing them on the other mare as well as she can.

"You might have asked. Like--"

Like Heartfire did.

Oh.

Oh

She remembers that Evion had gasped a name then, and tilts her head to one side. It's not unusual that someone else would know of Heartfire, but this sort of magic feels too familiar. Although, to be fair, she had felt almost nothing when Heartfire had stood here playing the same games, but there was a sense, a familiar flavor on the back of her tongue.

"What do you mean?"

@[Eyas]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere) - by Neverwhere - 10-25-2019, 09:37 PM