• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

anywhere i go there you are; brennen
    so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
    'cause oh that gave me such a fright
    They’re both tense, uncertain, but when Brennen relaxes (willing to let Hestoni attack him, if he really wants to), a moment later the other stallion relaxes as well. Then they’re just two awkward strangers, linked by something neither of them particularly want to talk about, eyeing each other up and down. Brennen knows he has the advantage here in most ways – he’s got the magic, the fighting experience, he knows Hestoni’s children in a way that the chestnut does not know his (as he’s staring at the other man, he’s looking for them – for things about Simeon, and Leilan that he might recognize in their father).

Hestoni has one big advantage – the moral high ground. It’s why Brennen’s standing, not in any way prepared to defend himself, waiting for the other to make the first move.

It’s the smile that truly relaxes him, however fleeting, and he responds to the tone as much as anything else. “No, we haven’t.” Scorch had talked about her mate, of course, but his visits to the Jungle had been business, not personal (or so he’d always told himself). And when that changed – well, Hestoni had been gone. They hadn’t talked about the specifics, but Brennen had always assumed he was dead. Assumed that was why she’d broken the unspoken pact between the two of them, and basically jumped his bones that night they’d grieved together.

He’s compelled to say that – to try to explain himself. “I thought you were dead. When she came to me.” Brennen isn’t sure of the truth, himself; had Scorch known he was not dead? Would they have lasted, if he had been? It’s hard to imagine, now, because he has moved on quite thoroughly. “I don’t regret loving her,” he drawls the words quietly, “But I would not have…accepted if I knew. But we burned each other out, she and I. I’ve moved on to something else and I think it’s better for me.”

Brennen doesn’t use the words ‘I’m sorry’. This is too deep for a casual surface apology, but he reserves the truly deep ones for times when he has done intentional wrong. Though, shifting uncomfortably, he realizes that his current mate is actually Hestoni’s grandson. He’s sure he’s drenched in Nihlus’ scent, given the way his lover had woken him this morning, but perhaps Hestoni doesn’t know his grandson or his scent. Not everyone has a magic net to keep track of their descendants, after all.
    but I will hold, as long as you like
    just promise me we'll be alright
    BrenneN

@[Hestoni]

Messages In This Thread
    anywhere i go there you are; brennen - by Hestoni - 11-08-2019, 05:19 PM
    RE: anywhere i go there you are; brennen - by Brennen - 01-20-2020, 01:54 AM