• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

In Hell I'll be in good company // Reia
    Her laughter is a rusted thing. It's easy to imagine that it is a sound she's never made before, as roughly as it trickles out. Another one of the snarls that she dispenses with such ease. Only when the sound pushes past its unfamiliar walls and lifts in genuine humor can I say with any certainty that she is, in fact, laughing. 

I do not join her mirth, a careless half-smile my only response as she quiets herself. She's pretty when she smiles. Her confession is quick and to the point, and I'm curious as to why it took so long for her to realize these things. My brilliant blue eyes roll skyward. "Of course I'm right. Anyway, tradition is for the dogs. It's just pressure from a bunch of dead ancestors to keep you in line." I groused, knowing no one in their right mind would call me traditional either. Terrorist, maybe. 

She's getting maudlin, I can see it in her eyes. And it's a relief when my snapping teeth bring back the gleam of dragon fire in her countenance. Still, she's measured and controlled, ever the patient predator waiting for her chance. Not like I was going to do much damage anyway. We may both be covered in scales, but hers are unyielding to my teeth. A disappointment.

She's quiet and I'm getting bored again. I did what I came here to do, the smoky girl is in one piece and seems to be okay with it. My jab of a question, designed only as another shove, seems to have been taken seriously. My own gold-plated tail fin sweeps the air in time with hers. I'm uncomfortable with the sudden change in mood between us. 

Her answer is nothing like what I would have expected. It's almost sincere. I'm not good at sincere. Not if it comes without another biting edge. I could be scathing here, put us back on the fighting ground we know. Instead, I look away, mouth set in a grim line. "Lucky you, fighting is damn near all I know. Love makes you weak, so I've never bothered with it." Just look at my mother, if you doubt me. 

Ears tipped back in warning, I will not be messed with on this, I looked back to her, impassive and cool. "Well, on the off chance you're in the mood right now, can we just skip past the touchy-feely bit and jump into like, I dunno, a tour or something? This conversation is getting a little sentimental for me." I tilted my head, a smile breaking onto my lips at last. 

@[Reia]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: In Hell I'll be in good company // Reia - by Rebelle - 02-10-2020, 06:31 PM