• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Embracing its starlit fate as we wait in the night
    i feel
    a bad moon rising
    "Just pretty enough to lure you into staying,"Lepis replies, speaking of the Field and its pleasant charms. Tall grass, enough to fill a starving belly even in the heart of winter. Trees from shade and protection from the wind, running water that does not freeze over. It is a good place to recuperate, but there is no long-term appeal. Is that some work of the Fae, Lepis wonders when her horizon-surveying eyes pass over the distant Mountain’s peak. Do they infuse passers-by with the desire to move on? When Warstorm pauses, Lepis glances back to meet her gaze, but the buckskin mare is already shaking off whatever it was that had given her hesitation.

Had she spotted a stranger in the Field, Lepis wonders, or perhaps worse, someone who was not a stranger? This is the time of year most prone to awkward encounters, after all. But no, the younger mare doesn’t seem bothered, and so Lepis lets the moment pass without comment. There’s no need to pry, not this early, not when they hardly know each other.

"The best of all the kingdoms," Lepis answers. "Though you will have to take my word that I mean it, and that I don’t just say it as something I’ve memorized for my recruiting efforts." There is amusement on her face, knowing what she asks of a stranger, but it hadn’t stopped her from speaking up anyway. "It’s the prettiest at least. Red stone and rolling hills. The company is not too shabby, if I do say so myself." Again a brief flash of a grin before adding: "Whether you like the kingdom life or want to be left alone to roam the wilds; I think it suits most anyone." Lepis has done her share of both in the crimson canyons. "Good food too," she adds, thinking of the patch of pineapples she’d found while with Alcinder earlier this morning.

"That’s not my usual recruiting speech," she admits to the overo beside her as she takes a deep breath of the crisp autumn air. "It’s usually much more impressive and elegant."
    n | l

@[Warstorm]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Embracing its starlit fate as we wait in the night - by Lepis - 04-24-2020, 10:54 PM