• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  could i use you as a makeshift gauge; anyone

I V A R
    i'll use you as a makeshift gauge
    of how much to give and how much to take
    Ivar does not come to the mainland during the winter. Even this early spring day is cool enough to remind him why, and the water that streams past his scales as he moves upriver is cold with snowmelt from the Hyalinian mountains. The kelpies does not the cold, and he is uncharacteristically quick to leave the water when he finds a shallow enough bank. The sun is not strong, but the air does not dilute it like the water does, and Ivar grows warmer as he drips dry beside the river.

Having shed his fins as he left the water, Ivar is left with a wet and heavy horsehair tail instead, which he flicks irritably against his tr-colored body. Most of the scales that cover him are a deep sapphire, and the white of his tobiano markings is made of scales as pearlescent as the inside of the shells he collects for Isobell. The thin lines of gold that separate them are gild on the lily (as if Ivar has ever been compared to something so delicate), but somehow a fitting compliment to the rest of the creature. The face that peers out from beneath his tangled mane is equine, but perfectly so.

Even the scowl over his golden eyes is perfect, even the glint of sharp teeth within his mouth.  He is unwilling to let go of those even when disguised, knowing that in this world of pacifists sharp teeth alone do not make a creature dangerous. He means to find someone with that type of thinking, someone eager to be swept off their feet by a handsome stranger. His children are growing hungry, having lost the last of their autumn-gained weight. Hunting is easiest in the fall, but prey is not scarce in other seasons – simply more difficult to separate from the rest of the herd.

The sound of feet in the distance cause him to turn his head to where something is moving in the trees nearby. They’re coming his way, Ivar realizes, and grows still.

and i'll use you as a warning sign
    that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind

Messages In This Thread
    could i use you as a makeshift gauge; anyone - by Ivar - 05-17-2020, 11:01 AM