• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  this grief has a gravity, it weighs me down | birthing
    l e p i s
    I never thought it was a question of whether
    He listens, little ears flickering with attention despite his young age, and I smile fondly. These are tales I would tell him a thousand times, stories of the adventures of our ancestor, history with lessons, parables for virtue. My children had all liked stories, and there is little doubt that I am one of – if not the – best storytellers. How could I not be, with my magic? Touches of danger to accompany the appearance of monsters, pride when listing our accomplishments, victory at the defeat of our enemies. Emotion adds depth to a tale, and each of mine are an endless well.

He yawns at my suggestion of sleep, but does not tuck in immediately. I watch his quiet contemplation with fond eyes, watching him puzzle through his decision. And it is his own decision – I had found that children do best when given such freedoms.

“Oh-kay”, I repeat, just as he had said it, but my smile is gentle as I follow a pace behind him to the bed he has made amongst the flowers. I am as tired as he, though in a different way, and though I wait for him to doze off first, I know I will not be far behind.

“Goodnight, sweet prince.” The words are gentle, not enough to wake him, much like the soft kiss I press to the curled nape of his neck. I add joy as well, very softly, and happiness, knowing that they will color his first dreams. “Sleep well. I love you.” And soon after, I too drift off while standing over him, and the moon and stars spin above us both, hazy with the dust of the Mountain.

@[Kestrell]
    n | l

Messages In This Thread
    RE: this grief has a gravity, it weighs me down | birthing - by Lepis - 07-01-2020, 06:35 AM